Storing a wakeless on land

kinghawg98
Novice

Storing a wakeless on land

Postby kinghawg98 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone do this?
How difficult?
Possible?
Would you be able to launch it from rowing docks?

I see the weight is about 350lbs, not too light weight, especially with a motor on. I imagine, though not sure, it wouldn't be feasible to take the motor on and off every day.

We don't have a true launching site very close so considering all options for a wakeless or less wake launch. The whole john boat thing just isn't swell for our club. Main reason: "no wake zone" a john boat keeping up with a quad or 8 makes a wake..

Thanks for any insight!
Last edited by kinghawg98 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

caustic
Old timer

Re: Storing a wakelss on land

Postby caustic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Hmm. If you have enough people, you can heave it up and out onto a dock. There's no place you could anchor it or tie to the dock itself?

kinghawg98
Novice

Re: Storing a wakeless on land

Postby kinghawg98 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Sadly, we are in a community park. We can't even expect to row with clean docks, or to have our shoes in the same place when we leave the dock (I take shoes with, but you know..) We have this gated area beside out boathouse and late last year, we found some numbskull kid trying to steal our gas cans.

I'm pretty sure it would be destroyed in short order by the local thuggery.

Only thought aside would be to anchor it out, but then we still have to get to the boat when it is cold.
Last edited by kinghawg98 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

caustic
Old timer

Postby caustic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Hmm. That is a bummer. I don't suppose adding razor wire to the top of the gating is a solution?

Alternatively, is there a boat ramp on the lake, where you could back a truck with boat trailer down, and then just do that?

sul
Old timer

Postby sul » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:38 am

I'm not clear what the problem is.

Are you trying to secure the launch? You do or don't want it in your fenced area? Want to leave at the dock if secured?

At various clubs/teams, we've hauled the engine up every session, hauled the launch up top, locked to piling at dock, or left at mercy of thieves.

Your wakeless is not heavier than many whalers we've hauled in/out for every session.

kinghawg98
Novice

Postby kinghawg98 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:57 am

Sorry, I try to keep posts short, but sometimes they become too vague.

So, situation is as follows-

We would like to upgrade to a wakeless (or any suggested similar launch/coaching vehicle) so we can keep up with crews and be better able to rescue in case of emergency.

We currently have a 12 foot john boat that we use as a launch. We drag it up and down the hill to our gated area (our boathouse is on a hill out of necessity.) every time we want to use it for whatever reason. We don't have a boat ramp nearby. We can't keep the boat moored near the rowing dock as it will get stolen in short order, despite how we might tie it down. If anyone knows of a bulletproof locking mechanism, we could maybe consider this option.

The question was, does anyone keep their boat stored on land and launch it every practice from the rowing dock.

I think I know the answer that it is not practical, nor reasonable, but I figured maybe someone on here had some good ideas on how to make it work, or maybe a suggestion for a better boat that would leave less of a wake and be good to rescue people.

sul
Old timer

Postby sul » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:04 pm

How about a combination of heavy duty cable/lock and anti-theft GPS device?

some of these devices can be set to trigger a text message when the boat is moved.

kinghawg98
Novice

Postby kinghawg98 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:48 am

The anti-theft GPS thing is an interesting idea- I've never heard of those. It would require research to find a good one, but that is a good little device so long as nobody finds its hiding spot.

Are there ways to secure the outboard motor to the boat so it is very difficult to remove it from the boat?

crewu
Old timer

Postby crewu » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:03 am

Put your boat in the gated area at night with a guard dog and you will never have a problem.

bisweptual
Novice

Postby bisweptual » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:14 am

kinghawg98 wrote:Are there ways to secure the outboard motor to the boat so it is very difficult to remove it from the boat?

Most outboard can be locked with a chin on the clamps that hold it to the boat.

sul
Old timer

Postby sul » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:11 pm

[quote="kinghawg98"]The anti-theft GPS thing is an interesting idea- I've never heard of those. It would require research to find a good one, but that is a good little device so long as nobody finds its hiding spot.

Are there ways to secure the outboard motor to the boat so it is very difficult to remove it from the boat?[/quote]

Yes, lots of ways of locking engine to launch.

GPS anti-theft devices come in a variety. I would buy two, a really nice one, and a cheap one.

Put the cheap one where it can be found more easily, and the expensive you can hide better.

caustic
Old timer

Postby caustic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:50 pm

For wakeless launches, a great spot to hide the GPS tracker is in one of the pontoons.

rowingpun
Elite

Postby rowingpun » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:55 pm

I'd go with a skiff, that's a huge wakeless to be hauling around if you plan on carrying more than one passenger in it. Slide/drive the skiff up on the dock, winch it up on a trailer then drag it up the hill. Or, get fancy and winch the trailer up too.

kinghawg98
Novice

Postby kinghawg98 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:01 pm

you mean skiff like a v-nosed john boat? Or skiff like something else.

I'm not a power boating kind of person and results on CL are.....varying.

water_buffalo
Novice

Postby water_buffalo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:41 pm

At my school, it was just part of practice to help out carrying our launches (also about 350 lbs) to and from the water. We had a similar situation and had to store them in the aisles of the boat bays every night. You mention that you row quads/eights, certainly sounds like enough strong bodies to carry a few boats.

Return to “General Rowing Discussion”