Grand Puba

Re: Speed 5 with Andrew Campbell

Postby lt.wolf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 am

Andrew Campbell – Bronze Medalist Single Sculler 2010 Junior Worlds

US Rowing Bio
http://www.usrowing.org/News_Media/Athl ... pbell.aspx

Video of the final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQFUinJY1I

WOLF -So your about 155 soaking wet and you got a bronze medal at the 2010 Junior World Championships , man how did you pull that off? And how did that final play out?

Andrew
As a natural lightweight, I have spent most of my rowing career racing bigger guys and I have learned never to count myself out before the race is over. In addition to a world-class high school coaching staff, have been blessed to face world-class domestic competition (Alec Buckenheimer, Charlie Campbell, Matt Maddamma, and Mike Wales to name just a few) that forced me to be nothing but my very best day in and day out. I went into the final knowing I needed to race my own race. After starting light went green, training kicked in.

WOLF -So what brought you to Harvard and to Boston?

Andrew
Academically, Harvard simply felt like a good fit for me. Athletically, Charley and Lindas scientific approach to the sport, coupled with their wealth of experience was of huge appeal. Also, at Harvard I feel like my development as a small boat sculler is of equal importance to my development as a big-boat sweeper.

WOLF -In 2009 you went to U23 worlds in the light double and well I will say it bombed out, what did you do differently for 2010?

Andrew
My experience at U-23s in 2009 was critical to my development.Had I not gotten my butt kicked then, I dont think I would have done as well this past year. It is for this reason that I oppose time standards and encourage all trial winners to go on to the next level of competition. I learned so much just watching how the other athletes rowed, practiced, warmed up, and acted. When I got home, I knew exactly what kind of focus and intensity was necessary to take my rowing to the next level.

Wolf -With your junior career pretty much over , are you eyeing are run at the senior level and in what events?

Andrew
I am doing my best to take one day at a time. My current focus is on setting the blade quickly and smoothly at practice this afternoon.

Wolf-Maritime has been verysuccessfulthis past year in sculling, and looks to only be getting stronger, what is going on over there?

Andrew
Yan Vengerovsky is a man with a vision. The senior class that performed so well at Youth Nationals this past year was a long-term project for him. Almost all of us had been rowing under the Maritime/New Canaan soviet-style plan since age 13 or earlier. I was also extremely fortunate to have former Ukraine head coach Volodymyr Opalnyk join the program as my primary coach and training program designer in the year before Jr. Worlds. Yan, Olga (Yans wife), Yuri Klomets, and Volod make a great team.

Extra one
Wolf
Would you ever consider doubling up or dare I say it tripling up at Worlds ? By the way you know I beat you about a month ago in a charles piece , you remember that don t you ?

Andrew
I had my hands full doubling up at Youth Nationals! Trying to keep your heart rate down on the line of a grand final is hard enough without having raced moments beforehand. Do you remember that 17-year-old punk that nipped your time at speed orders last fall? We must skirmish again some time!
Thanks for the questions! I am a big RI fan!

ionlyerg
Novice

Re: Speed 5 with Andrew Campbell

Postby ionlyerg » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:52 pm

sounds like ol andy and the boys from haravard are looking to repeat what old rude and smooth did.i met andrew once we worked on a swingjing just south of westtonburry minnisota he is a real nice kid and one hell of a rower although he did have eyes like the devil maybe that what makes him so great

Return to “Speed 5 Interviews”