Pocock Singles

Moderator: lt.wolf

RiggerJigger
Pre-Elite

Pocock Singles

Postby RiggerJigger » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Anyone have any experience training/racing in a Pocock 1x? Specifically the Hypercarbon K1? Never hear much about their singles, not even from Caustic :)

1xsculler
Old timer

Re: Pocock Singles

Postby 1xsculler » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 am

I owned one for about a year and I liked everything about it. Their carbon wing is probably the best, most rigid one available. They are one of the few boat builders who can pop their boats out of the mould cleanly without any surface finish damage so no additional painting is required. Their boat is relatively narrow which seems like a good design feature to me. They are right next to and closely associated to Boeing composite manufacturing. I believe they even make some parts for Boeing so they should be on the leading edge of composites. I like everything about their single and they're priced right too.
I usually win if none of the guys who are faster than I am show up and if I don't go off course.

boatfullofjoy
Novice

Postby boatfullofjoy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:38 pm

I bought my hypercarbon K1 single from Pocock this year. I have always found that Pocock 1x's are make sculling easier than in some other boats. In college I raced a hudson, but trained in a Pocock over the summers. I've been wanting one of these for the past 10 years and finally was able to afford it. I strongly recommend them!!

I understand that Pocock makes most of their money on selling the large boats, so that is where their advertising is primarily focused. But that doesn't mean their singles are any less awesome.
"It's the ONLY thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING -absolute nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats'" -Wind in the Willows Chapter 1

caustic
Old timer

Postby caustic » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:40 pm

RiggerJigger wrote:Anyone have any experience training/racing in a Pocock 1x? Specifically the Hypercarbon K1? Never hear much about their singles, not even from Caustic :)

LOL. I don't actually own my own boat, so I row the a club-owned 1X that IIRC is early generation hypercarbon. I'm a fan of it. The Pocock singles I think are exceptionally stiff, and can be harder to balance, but when you get them set, they can move really well.

dave_o
Novice

Postby dave_o » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 pm

We have six Pocock 1x's w/ aluminum riggers, and they've been terrific. Those women on our team who have years of experience in singles and raced at junior, U23 and senior worlds have all been impressed with the boat and said they'd have no problem racing the boat at worlds. A fairly experienced alum took one out earlier this week and commented afterwards how much she liked the boat. The feedback is usually unsolicited, as well.

However, the aluminum riggers have limited adjustments although this works great for what we're looking for.

Take it easy.

Dave O'Neill
Cal

Return to “Boats”