lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Croker Arrows Un-boxing

Post by lt.wolf »

Stelph
Pre-Elite

Re: Croker Arrows Un-boxing

Post by Stelph »

Also took delivery of the new arrows or S39's this week, initial impressions are they they're very neat and solid blades, paddling with them and coming from may old S2's they feel very well hooked up to the catch and a lot cleaner at the finish, very happy with them so far!
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

So, I just tried out the new Arrows and agree that the finish seems a lot cleaner.

One question for anyone else who is using them - are you using the same oar length that you were using with S2 or S4s? Greg recommended starting 1 cm shorter given a more "aggressive" blade design, but what are others doing?
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

First time I've heard that! No personally I'm using the same as I was with my S2's
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

NE other comments on Arrows?
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
completeIgnorance
Old timer

Post by completeIgnorance »

What I have heard is that Croker suggests 5 degrees of pitch for the sculling blades.

What I have seen is that the longer you take to load the blade the more likely you will need 5 degrees and not 4 degrees of pitch.

They are quieter at the catch and feel as if they hold the water better during the second half of the drive.

Build quality is good. Seem to be more durable that the standard shafts.

I am at least 20 seconds faster with them over 2k.
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

completeIgnorance wrote:What I have heard is that Croker suggests 5 degrees of pitch for the sculling blades.

What I have seen is that the longer you take to load the blade the more likely you will need 5 degrees and not 4 degrees of pitch.

They are quieter at the catch and feel as if they hold the water better during the second half of the drive.

Build quality is good. Seem to be more durable that the standard shafts.

I am at least 20 seconds faster with them over 2k.
What do you feel is giving you the speed difference? What were you using before? Did you change oar settings such as inboard or length? Did you move the foot board?
completeIgnorance
Old timer

Post by completeIgnorance »

I was kidding about the speed. All of the other stuff is true.
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

completeIgnorance wrote:I was kidding about the speed. All of the other stuff is true.
Oh, I was just asking because my kids were 35 seconds faster with their new oars. I am sorry but I can not tell you the brand.
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

They're made by the company whose initials are BS, right?
Nosmo
Pre-Elite

Post by Nosmo »

GettingFaster wrote:They're made by the company whose initials are BS, right?
Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea what they mean by "the worlds first mechanical energy blade"?
I realize it is just marketing but I don't know even what idea they are trying to convey.
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

More by an animal than a company.
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Post by mightyquinn »

Nosmo wrote:
Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea what they mean by "the worlds first mechanical energy blade"?
I realize it is just marketing but I don't know even what idea they are trying to convey.
The theory is that oar flexes early in the drive and stores mechanical energy which is released later in the drive as the flexed oar springs back. Don't know what makes theirs the first. Pretty sure this "feature" was standard in wooden sculls :wink: and is also present in soft shafts by other oar makers. I have rowed both soft and stiff sculls; I believe that soft shafts may reduce / ameliorate overuse injuries. Some may prefer the more gradual loading at the catch and spring at the finish. I have no opinion as to whether they make you "faster" or "slower."
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

petermech wrote:
More by an animal than a company.

Suffice it to say, the NRA will be handling their PR, due to the large nature of said guns?