lt.wolf
Grand Puba

New Orlock system

Post by lt.wolf »

KitD
Old timer

Re: New Orlock system

Post by KitD »

I think this was discussed on RSR a while ago. The main disadvantage I see is a safety one of whether it can be opened in a hurry. That doesn't seem to have been addressed and I'd be reluctant to commit to them without it.

One advantage though is that it could easily be adapted to be held rigid in the gate. This opens up the possibility of gates that can be mounted forward of the pin, which may well lead to big improvements in blade efficiency from hydrdynamic lift. A forward-mounted gate means the blade makes a more parabolic path in the water, with much less opportunity for slip in the mid-stroke.
pmacaula
Pre-Elite

Post by pmacaula »

Is this product really new or 2 yrs old and short on funding ?
Reason I ask is that it says you can pre-order, with no obligation until 12/31/13,suggesting he was planning to launch or do a first production run two years ago.
GlasedDonut
Novice

Post by GlasedDonut »

I don't know anything about this system besides what is shown in the video, so take it all with a grain of salt. The ideas are great- easy adjustment, the depth limiting, etc. However, that's a LOT of moving parts. Something is going to break, and to fix it will be a headache.

Right now, if an oarlock or collar breaks, it's pretty easy to see what broke and how to fix it. Maybe that's since the current design is so universal, but it's also simple. If this breaks on the water, and with all those parts, it WILL happen, getting the gear back on the water may take a bit more time and involvement.

Also, will the blade be limited in how far it can feather and square? Sometimes during certain drills where the boat move backwards, a bit of reverse feather helps if you're setting the boat. Little things like that.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a million dollars in designing an oarlock and collar that are easily adjustable. I just think it needs to be as simple as possible as well, and this is anything but as far as I can tell.
scullerjonny
Elite

Post by scullerjonny »

I tried out a prototype of these things 4-5 years ago. I generally liked them, the only issue is what to do if you are about to come a little close to an obstacle... hard to pull them in quickly. On a busy waterway, I would be a little hesitant.