Facebook METAVERSE and working out

crewu
Old timer

Facebook METAVERSE and working out

Post by crewu »

Facebook's Occulus is now pretty big into workouts. Has anyone seen anything that works with rowing? This could surpass Hydrow pretty quickly if all you need is Occulus and a Concept 2.
Mango
Old timer

Re: Facebook METAVERSE and working out

Post by Mango »

crewu wrote:Facebook's Occulus is now pretty big into workouts. Has anyone seen anything that works with rowing? This could surpass Hydrow pretty quickly if all you need is Occulus and a Concept 2.
Hydrow can start doing this, they just have to start filming in a way that allows for XR. They would be smart to partnering with C2 in terms of blue tooth pairing for splits between either their machine or c2 and a headset with Hydrow content. Given the size of the sport, silicone shortages, and issues with the supply chain, they would be smart to start to shift into a content company rather than a hardware company.

They could also just get in the monitor business as well. Get LG, Samsung, Philips, etc. to OEM a compatible display that is compatible with c2 machines/splits and Hydrow content. This is a common practice in tech Samsung makes stuff for LG, etc. and visa versa. C2's business is based on the fly wheel and oars. Partner with content creators to absorb the cost of upgrading the peripherals.

Edit: complete thoughts (ouch)
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Mango wrote:C2's business is based on the fly wheel
There, fixed that for you.

Full stop. That wheel has paid off like a champ. Except for the DYNO. Bet if they revised and brought that back now, it would sell too.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

I'd be amazed if anyone did serious endurance workouts with an Oculus or Oculus-like headset on. That's a sweaty, vibrating nightmare.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Remomex wrote:I'd be amazed if anyone did serious endurance workouts with an Oculus or Oculus-like headset on. That's a sweaty, vibrating nightmare.
As somebody who works extensively with Oculus from a sales/solution perspective, it’s not about THIS version of the Quest or coming Cambria, it’s the next. BOA is rolling them out to all their employees. Same with Accenture. From a vendor perspective, especially in a niche corner of sports, it’s about solidifying those relationships for tomorrow’s product line.

I can give you 100 very cool use cases with what the oculus is being used for now. Healthcare, auto design, social work, O&G, it’s. It’s remarkable.

C2 being a first mover in licensing content creators now would provide exponential revenue for them down the line.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

We'll see what the future brings.

Admittedly I don't work in tech so I don't hang out with people most likely to use these gadgets, but the one or two times I've seen an Oculus in use it was mostly for novelty where one person used it, everyone else sat around and watched, then after 5 minutes it was set aside not to be touched again.

I remember 6ish years ago when the Google Glass came out to much fanfare but was a massive flop. There was a surgeon who used it in the OR and I have to say it looked quite comical. I'm highly skeptical of this metaverse thing but I sense I may be in the minority. Time will tell if it goes the way of fully self-driving cars (we've been promised this for years and years and is still many decades away).
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Mango wrote:
Remomex wrote:I'd be amazed if anyone did serious endurance workouts with an Oculus or Oculus-like headset on. That's a sweaty, vibrating nightmare.
As somebody who works extensively with Oculus from a sales/solution perspective, it’s not about THIS version of the Quest or coming Cambria, it’s the next. BOA is rolling them out to all their employees. Same with Accenture. From a vendor perspective, especially in a niche corner of sports, it’s about solidifying those relationships for tomorrow’s product line.

I can give you 100 very cool use cases with what the oculus is being used for now. Healthcare, auto design, social work, O&G, it’s. It’s remarkable.

C2 being a first mover in licensing content creators now would provide exponential revenue for them down the line.
I'm with remo. I don't know how you get around a headset if you want an immersive experience. That leaves you with a basic comfort problem. More tech is not always a plus. See BofA vs Accenture.

Crewu google holofit. If connects to the C2 via bluetooth. Head to head with other users is a benefit.

VR would be good for acclimating a cox to a course like the Charles. Could also see it being beneficial for a coach, instead of the athlete, to get a visual of someone they are working with remotely.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Put a chip in the rowers brain that gives the visual experience and reduces the agony. It'll sell.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein