Incident in Orlando

crewu
Old timer

Re: Incident in Orlando

Post by crewu »

You really can't point the finger at the young coach and feel satisfied that he takes the blame for all this. In many ways a young coach without guidance shouldn't be expected to know any more about safety than the middle school kids he is coaching. I personally cringe at the risk I exposed rowers under my guidance to when I was 21 years old and didn't know any better. Sending rowers out in in thunderstorms and on rivers with giant chunks of ice and logs floating downstream come to mind. I didn't know any better and no one told me otherwise. I am grateful that by luck no one was ever hurt.

In my mind, this young coach is also a victim of this incident.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Exceptionally well said.

Not a single program would survive unscathed if the insurance company did a ride along.

Vilifying this one program or coach does NOTHING to fix rowing except reveal the cannibals in our ranks.

The torch and pitchfork crowd is always one stumble away from a hot surprise.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

A comprehensive reading of my posts would reveal that I see fault all along the chain of authority -- the head coach for not training his subordinates properly, now the lack of communication between varsity coaches canceling and not middle school practices canceling, the club board for hiring such an inexperienced coach to be responsible for their children, the fact that the rowing club has a board but has the head coach listed as a principal officer (the rowing club name is merely a dba name--why)...

Seems like someone is running a rowing club fast and loose despite having been around for a respectable 20+ yrs...why not take safety/risk seriously and hire coaches who have been trained or have been certified? Athletes dying in practice is unacceptable.
rowing wrote:Not a single program would survive unscathed if the insurance company did a ride along.
Get a grip, every rowing club I've been a part of has followed safety rules and has not played games with their athletes' lives. The worst I've seen was launches not having nine life jackets on board, but even that wasn't a habit. Never seen a club that didn't check weather and communicate a cancellation before a water session.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fullmetal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm A comprehensive reading of my posts would reveal that I see fault all along the chain of authority -- the head coach for not training his subordinates properly, now the lack of communication between varsity coaches canceling and not middle school practices canceling, the club board for hiring such an inexperienced coach to be responsible for their children, the fact that the rowing club has a board but has the head coach listed as a principal officer (the rowing club name is merely a dba name--why)...

Seems like someone is running a rowing club fast and loose despite having been around for a respectable 20+ yrs...why not take safety/risk seriously and hire coaches who have been trained or have been certified? Athletes dying in practice is unacceptable.
rowing wrote:Not a single program would survive unscathed if the insurance company did a ride along.
Get a grip, every rowing club I've been a part of has followed safety rules and has not played games with their athletes' lives. The worst I've seen was launches not having nine life jackets on board, but even that wasn't a habit. Never seen a club that didn't check weather and communicate a cancellation before a water session.
You wouldn't survive an inspection visit without a bottle of lube.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Jeesh , and we are done.