Levator vs. Carl Douglas

Moderator: lt.wolf

Sjobber
JV

Levator vs. Carl Douglas

Postby Sjobber » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm a huge fan of wooden-composit design boots. Best known in Europe would be Carl Douglas which is a very reliable boat. Information about those boats is easily found on the internet, how they row and such.

But I came across another design boat manufacturer. Which would be Levator Boat Works LTD. It's a company stated in Canada and started in 1989 by Jürgen Kaschper (yeah the son of). So there's enough experience in the boat building industry over there.

Carl Douglas is a common boat here in The Netherlands, but Levator... I've never even seen one and I highly doubt that there even is one in The Netherlands.

When I talk about design boats, i talk about their Levator - Flight.
Or their Levator - Legacy found on the same homepage.

The boats are quitte expensive. If I say they're $11,690.00 USD for a single you'd probably never even buy one. For a poor student like me it's even untinkable to own one, but you never know. With the current dollar rate it gets pretty interesting, so I'm here to win some information about them.
hoping that some of you guys have information/experience about/with them.

How do they row, are they stable or do they fall easily. Do they row in a straight course or do they get blown away by the wind easily (like the CD). How long does their stiffness lasts.
How would you compare them to Carl Douglas boats? And how are they in competition.
All information about them is welcome.

rowingman

Postby rowingman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:21 am

Sjobber,

There might be a half dozen people on the planet that have rowed both boats. I have seen both, rowed neither. They are boat high quality and pricey. The Levator company makes mostly boats other than wood. The vak shell is "part of a larger whole", whereas the CD folks make mostly wood boats.

I can comment on the Levator Racer, being the owner of one. The boat is well constructed, rows very nicely, and Jurgen is a great fellow to do business with. My single was delivered on time and has turned out to be a very good choice in boats (for me). You won't find Levators lined up in many races, I don't think that they market the boat as the fastest boat on the block (there are plenty of folks making that claim at present). They market quality and customer satisfaction. I give Levator high marks on both counts.

I can't comment on the Carl Douglas boats, other than if I could buy one, I would be tempted to put it over the mantle in the living room. I'm sure that my wife would leave me, but then, it's a might pretty boat....

Rowingman

"to dine with the devil, use a long spoon"

Sjobber
JV

Postby Sjobber » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:53 pm

rowingman wrote:There might be a half dozen people on the planet that have rowed both boats.

I was afraid of that actually... but it's a rowing forum so I thought I would give it a chance.
I see that you think high of the company as how they treat you and the product they delivered to you.

But carbon boats are different than composit/wooden shells. Which in my opinion are more depending on the craftmanship of the builders. But as they're somehow unique it would be quite a search to have someones opinion about the wooden shells. And by comparisson of other manufacturers.

But having a comment that the company delivered great work on your Levator Racer is also welcome here. As I did not know the company at all. So these comments build on their positive reputation towards me :)

fatboy
Pre-Elite

Postby fatboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:04 am

Whatever one thinks of Carl Douglas, and he has a bit of a reputation for being a bit, you know, "odd" - his company's products are a byword for craftsmanship and quality.

On the other hand, whilst I would have no hesitation to spec his riggers adn fittings on a new boat or refurb (and indeed I have done so - the riggers are the best you can get), nothing would persuade me to buy a new wooden (or part wooden) shell nowadays - too much hassle.

whodoyouthinkiam
Pre-Elite

Postby whodoyouthinkiam » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I lust after a CD custom. Maybe a tiny little bit of customisation re: layup, but that's about all.

I have lusted after them for a long while, since I got completely dusted by a bloke in a wooden boat a few years ago. Once the initial shock had worn off, I had to take a look at it.

One of the most perfectly built and beautiful things I've ever seen. Certainly better than the nomex junkheap I was rowing at the time. The fact that the bloke was a former world champ made me feel a bit better as well. The perils of not knowing your opposition...

fatsculler
Old timer

Postby fatsculler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:07 am

Carl's custom single is a thing of absolute beauty. he is a regular contributor on rec.sport.rowing (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.sp ... =en&lnk=lr)

so pop a question on their and I'm sure he'll be only too pleased to answer.
For the record he doesn't just make wooden boats th CDX is a kevlar composite boat, but it's the custom that I want.....especially in santos Rosewood.......
The older I get, the better I was

bayrower
Pre-Elite

Re: Levator vs. Carl Douglas

Postby bayrower » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Anyone row a CD? I have seen them and they are very nice and high quality.

wonder how they compare to the empachers, fd's, etc of the world?

Sjobber
JV

Re: Levator vs. Carl Douglas

Postby Sjobber » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:15 am

I do not speak for myself, but at my club we've got 3 CDs. The past four rowers are hooked on them.
I personally think a rower gets more hooked on a CD than any other brand.
I would really like to row one of them, but I'm just a rower who rows 5 times a week for fun; not for competition. So my club will not assign one of those to me :(

Return to “Boats”