C2 Skinny Oars

Moderator: lt.wolf

southernrower
Elite

Re: C2 Skinny Oars

Post by southernrower »

WOW...judging by the PMs I received there seems to be a school of thought out there that differs with the first third emphasis of connecting the stroke. And that blades like Fats are leading to a lot of injury and taxed aerobic systems(hence slower boats). The thinking seem to be that a blade that slips a bit at the catch(older blade profiles) and connects better mid stroke leads ultimately to better-fatter-force curves. This is the spark note version but an interesting theory.
vancbc
Varsity

Post by vancbc »

I love my Fat2's, I row them short and I have a long reach for my height, they feel extremely connected at the catch and that is my aligned with my style of rowing and that is why I bought them. I scull my 1x like I'm stroking an 8+ and I love it.

No experience with the skinny shafts so no comment there.
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

southernrower wrote:WOW...judging by the PMs I received there seems to be a school of thought out there that differs with the first third emphasis of connecting the stroke. And that blades like Fats are leading to a lot of injury and taxed aerobic systems(hence slower boats). The thinking seem to be that a blade that slips a bit at the catch(older blade profiles) and connects better mid stroke leads ultimately to better-fatter-force curves. This is the spark note version but an interesting theory.
My coach is certainly in that camp - emphasizing a light but quick catch and strong finish - so the Fat2's did not work well with learning this style.
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

I think you can adjust the load by the amount of outboard you have. My kids in the double could hit 52 during the start with fat2 blades. Same in the quad with three out of four blades fat2. They were fast off of the line. They did well after the start as well.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

I did a completely unscientific test lately to test if the "slip at the catch" is good theory. I took an old set of smoothies and cutaway a portion(similar to Croker cutaways). I then rigged at 88/290. Part of the corollary is that smaller blade profiles rowed longer are faster. I have only rowed this 2 times. Not very scientific. Bottom line- 2mmol speed is about the same. Ramming speed is similar. Stroke rates are similar. I have not done any 5 or 6ks all out to compare but I cannot say I notice much difference vs a front end loaded, short shafted oar. Only difference I have noticed is that boat balance is easier once I got used to the Jolly green giants I was rowing.
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

I use and like Skinnys simple because it's the only sculling oar I could find with an ultra soft shaft and they, along with surfski paddling, seem to be working to help protect my lower back so far (not tested by racing yet).
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
yeahbuddy
Elite

Post by yeahbuddy »

everyone is getting on the skinny at worlds, more lights than ever and small heavyweights. some on the fat2s.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

It appears Croker will be coming out with the "Arrow" as the response to the skinny.
yeahbuddy
Elite

Post by yeahbuddy »

we tried a set , a snappy light blade , very well connected at front end with no slippage
platypus
Varsity

Post by platypus »

I managed to check out the latest Croker Arrows on the weekend. Beautiful looking oars. Obviously they have taken on C2 Skinnys and put out a serious challenger to them. Price is $906.40 Aussie dollars for a pair. The downside is that there is a waiting list if you want a pair. Seems like first orders are going out to National teams first to get some feedback on their performance. I hear that a shipment has just left for the USA.

It appears to me that the jury is still out on whether C2 skinny oars or Croker Arrows will make you go any faster. Until the National teams have done their testing with them you could be paying a high price just for a fad. Or maybe their is some logic behind their design. All the cross country ski pole companies have been making smaller diameter, more wind resistant, poles for years. I'm surprised rowing oar companies have taken so long to follow suit.

Regardless if the Croker Arrows make you go any faster I'm sure once people see others using them they'll lust after them. That's one way of Oar manufacturers making a lot of money. Whether people need them or not, a lot of people will upgrade to them anyway.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Were you able to get any pictures ?
platypus
Varsity

Post by platypus »

lt.wolf wrote:Were you able to get any pictures ?
No. Unfortunately there are no photos on the Croker website yet either. But as soon as I saw them I wanted a pair. It was like that. All the other Croker sculling oars look cumbersome compared to the Croker arrows. I was also told that at present the arrows are only available with the yellow and blue grip handles. But they already are on the way to the USA, so you'll see them for yourself shortly.

The Croker price list also lists Croker Arrow Sweep Oars with carbon adjustable handles at $716.10 Aussie dollars each. Are C2 Skinny oars available in sweep?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Yes, both in sculling and sweep and with all blade types. I am pretty sure Croker will offer the same eventually.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

A quick picture of the Arrow oars, thanks to our friends from down under.
Attachments
FlashAnnotate.jpg
FlashAnnotate.jpg (918.65 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

Shame there's nothing for scale! Makes it a little tricky to see what difference the arrow shaft makes, tho they look pretty solid