Croker S39 Soft sculling oars

Moderator: lt.wolf

1xsculler
Old timer

Croker S39 Soft sculling oars

Post by 1xsculler »

I rowed for the first time with my new Croker S39 Soft sculling oars set exactly like my C2 Skinny Extrasoft Smoothy2 Plain edge oars 160/288/89 and I liked them. I can't say as I noticed much difference but after having used skinny oars for a year, or so, I'm glad Croker came out with some too. They are so much nicer to handle in and around the boat. A big plus is that Croker now has oarlocks which are compatible with their sleeves. I could never get more than a year out of Croker sleeves which were being gouged up by C2 oarlocks.

The new Croker blade shape is a little different and they do release very well.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
DonnV
Novice

Re: Croker S39 Soft sculling oars

Post by DonnV »

Thanks for the review. Can you (or anyone else) tell me how easy it is to adjust the length of your Crokers? How much length do you have to play with? Is it anywhere as easy and simple as with C2's.

Thanks!
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

Not sure about the new ones but any other Croker I've seen has been - loosen two screws (Phillips head), adjust to desired length, tighten.
Sometimes it's a bit tight. Loosen - don't undo completely - if you turn the screws all the way out, you lose the inside clamping bit inside the shaft. Not a huge deal to reattach but a waste of time. If you turn the screw out 2-3 complete turns it should be enough. Tap the screw heads with the screwdriver handle after you've loosened both - (tap, not slam) which should free the clamp from the inside of the handle if it's at all stuck (which is rare).

Greg may have more details.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Initial thoughts.

I have a set now and I am finally getting some solid miles with them. Under SS conditions so far, I really like the way they track thru the water, probably the best I have felt thru the water. The "release" was very nice, number two on my list for a clean finish. The cleanest finish I have had were with Dreher "round blades " from 04-05, also was at my fastest then. The new " arrow" shaft flexes really well. I feel myself suspending once I was rowing correctly, leaving my shoulders in the stern properly and pushing with my legs initially. I have always liked the way Crokers felt at the catch, they load easily and well. i just square and drop and it " loads". I am rowing with them a little lighter than I would like right now and will need to lengthen them out another centimeter this week. These blades are really light and I love that feeling.

After about 60 mins I was able to take a " start" and move easily with them. There was no issue sitting at the catch and locking on. I also like the idea of working with classic settings of spread, length, inboard and outboard and not guessing the gear I need.

The sticker price is higher than others, but what you expect it to be for the newest top line oar to be.

More to come after pieces over the next few weeks and video!
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

Sean - what length do you have them at that you feel they need to be longer?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I am currently at 286/88 and will go out to 287 / 88.
SwagRowerYOLO
JV

Post by SwagRowerYOLO »

DonnV wrote:s it anywhere as easy and simple as with C2's.

Thanks!
simple and easy to change ..... not quite as simple and easy to get two sculls exactly the same.

In my opinion, the old C2 length adjust system and the current croker system, where length can only be changed in 5mm jumps is much superior.