COVID-19 thread

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: COVID-19 thread

Post by lt.wolf »

Remember Florida rowers , the @WWE , a “sports entertainment company “, was just deemed an essential business....
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Best thing the country could do right now is send all the middle and high school kids off to free 6 week summer camps. Let them get the antibodies, build immunity, return to their families and start school in the fall.

Have university students return to campus 6 weeks before classes begin. No older faculty around. Same thing. Get infected, get antibodies, build herd immunity then start classes as normal.

I should head up the CDC. Haha
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Was this not a South Park episode???
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

crewu wrote:Best thing the country could do right now is send all the middle and high school kids off to free 6 week summer camps. Let them get the antibodies, build immunity, return to their families and start school in the fall.

Have university students return to campus 6 weeks before classes begin. No older faculty around. Same thing. Get infected, get antibodies, build herd immunity then start classes as normal.

I should head up the CDC. Haha
Problem is this virus does sicken the younger set...not just old farts.

Another problem I’d venture to say the majority of college profs are over the age of 45 so who will lead instruction?
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

lt.wolf wrote:Remember Florida rowers , the @WWE , a “sports entertainment company “, was just deemed an essential business....
Well rowers do already have the corrrct wrestling singlet/uni so it’s a fair proposition....
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

All masters regionals are cancelled.

https://usrowing.org/news/2020/4/21/eve ... -june.aspx
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

HoCR is our only hope!
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Internationally FISA are hoping to hold the European Junior and I23 Championships in September, with the Senior Euro Champs in October. I think this is bold and I doubt the age-group events will happen, but it would be great to get at least one major Championships held this season.
The older I get, the better I was
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Do we have a confirmed case of a rower becoming seriously ill from Covid-19?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

There are rowers that have it , I know at least one that was hospitalized.
bendtheoar
Grand Puba

Post by bendtheoar »

lt.wolf wrote:There are rowers that have it , I know at least one that was hospitalized.
Rowers and coaches, as well as faculty members and family, on the junior and collegiate levels have been infected. Not aware of any passing away from Covid 19 to date, but some have had family members hospitalized and some have passed away.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Nationals on all levels are cancelled.
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

Help me HoCR, you're my only hope!
fisch
Varsity

Post by fisch »

crewu wrote:Do we have a confirmed case of a rower becoming seriously ill from Covid-19?
German olympic champion Wolfgang Maennig needed intensity care. Have first hand source that really not a experience you want to have.
Seems to be still short on breathing. There is rumours that lung might be permanently damaged.

https://www.rbb24.de/sport/thema/2020/c ... japan.html

Also reported cases from austria where divers had severe damaged lungs also after a covid invection with only lighter sympthoms.

https://www.kfv.at/covid-19-erste-gesun ... -moeglich/
and
https://divernet.com/2020/04/25/covid-1 ... iving-doc/

I personally think this could end some olympic hopes if you get a infection right now...

Sorry these links are only in german, but maybe some translation is available
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

My GF is an NP, and according to her, if you end up being put on a ventilator, you've got about an 80% chance of permanent lung damage.

The primary reason why is because this virus is kind a weird. Normally when your O2 absorption rate goes down, your CO2 expiration rate goes down as well, so you end up exhibiting symptoms of CO2 poisoning. But in this case, expiration of CO2 isn't initially adversely affected, so you end up exhaling CO2 OK, but have trouble absorbing O2. You don't notice the effects because you just breathe more deeply - it's similar to working in a high altitude than having reduced overall lung function.

So, you don't really notice problems when you're at, say, 93% O2, but at that point you're already well into pneumonia territory. You end up calling 911 when you're at 70% because you're gasping for air and wondering why you can't seem to get enough oxygen. By that time, your lungs are seriously damaged. You will be put on a ventilator immediately, and scarification is likely.

https://www.livescience.com/silent-hypo ... ients.html