Rowing is Back

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Rowing is Back

Post by lt.wolf »

Rowing may be back to some extent , the recent resurgence may have killed any thoughts of a fall season

Some states won’t allow travelers in from other states and the EU is banning Americans from travel to their countries.

It is rumored US Rowing is cancelling memberships of programs that break ( or broke )guidelines.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

lt.wolf wrote: It is rumored US Rowing is cancelling memberships of programs that break ( or broke )guidelines.
Really? Any particular club? I would have thought that if USRowing was that serious it would have made rules for it's members, not guidelines. And hard to justify canceling an insurance contract based on not following guidelines when a specific contractual agreement is in place.

I'm quite sure if USRowing had a problem with an individual program it would be reaching out to offer guidance. If an aggregious club still refused to comply then I imagine not renewing membership for 2021 would be a more viable option.

Is USRowing's own national team squad still not doing anything at the moment?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I will say its above my " pay grade" on the who and where .

The National team camps would likely be reforming in bubbles in the next moth or so and away from any states with recent spikes. Chula Vista I hear is being considered for selection in the 2021 year. Hopefully all settles out so we can follow the sampan for this year but a year later for preparations for the Olympics.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

lt.wolf wrote:I will say its above my " pay grade" on the who and where .

The National team camps would likely be reforming in bubbles in the next moth or so and away from any states with recent spikes. Chula Vista I hear is being considered for selection in the 2021 year. Hopefully all settles out so we can follow the sampan for this year but a year later for preparations for the Olympics.
There was a good podcast with Sarah Cook of Australia and Martin Cross at the weekend. One of the things Sarah said is that Quantas won’t be operating international flights until Next summer. As a consequence neither the Australians or Kiwis are expected to race any of the World Cups. There is talk of a series of races between the two countries to warm up for Tokyo - an ANZAC bubble.
The older I get, the better I was
bendtheoar
Grand Puba

Post by bendtheoar »

crewu wrote:
lt.wolf wrote: It is rumored US Rowing is cancelling memberships of programs that break ( or broke )guidelines.
Really? Any particular club? I would have thought that if USRowing was that serious it would have made rules for it's members, not guidelines. And hard to justify canceling an insurance contract based on not following guidelines when a specific contractual agreement is in place.

I'm quite sure if USRowing had a problem with an individual program it would be reaching out to offer guidance. If an egregious club still refused to comply then I imagine not renewing membership for 2021 would be a more viable option.

Is USRowing's own national team squad still not doing anything at the moment?
Any situations where this action has been or is being taken or contemplated is probably more connected to clubs that are flagrantly flouting not only USRowing guidelines, but also local or state rules and laws, any of which would effectively void any insurance coverage provided for the clubs involved. In addition, USRowing answers to the USOCPC and that organization will have no tolerance for any governing body which does not enforce protocols and laws in the operation of entities for which it is the governing body of the sport. Some clubs are not only trying to bend the rules or be cute, but are flagrantly engaging in dangerous and illegal behavior and essentially telling USRowing where to go. The more effective and probable future enforcement outcome of these instances should be when USRowing starts to issue lifetime bans on individuals from being involved in any club or organization in the sport. That is a far more effective means of stopping some egregious behavior by some individuals which has been going on long before Covid-19 and involved activity far more serious than not wearing a mask or not maintaining social distancing. Banning organizations has a limited effect which going after the individuals everyone knows are the real problem will hopefully fix to some extent. There are some people out there who continue to ignore some serious rules and in some cases laws and who have heretofore walked away from one club to another without sanction while any sanctions came down on the club after they walk away. Following the individuals seems to me to be a much more effective means of promoting a just result and encouraging good behavior by those in the sport.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Is there someone doing something crazy out there not mentioned in this thread? It seems many major cities are now under the USRowing "less than 50 new weekly cases per 100K population" guideline to allow team sports. It is up to clubs to make their own decisions from there. A lot of youths sports beyond rowing are now back underway.

I do agree going after individual behavior is the way to go. Hard to punish a whole club for the actions of one.
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

So Harvard will be remote for the 2020/21 academic year. I imagine that’s the rowing season done and dusted.
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

One local club has its juniors back in eights with very few masks in evidence.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:So Harvard will be remote for the 2020/21 academic year. I imagine that’s the rowing season done and dusted.
And was just told that state dept isn’t issuing student visas if their college is exclusively online learning. So that means a whole segment of international students will not be allowed entry even to do online learning while residing on campus or in off campus housing...

If I can find link I will post.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

bendtheoar
Grand Puba

Post by bendtheoar »

Long'n Strong wrote:One local club has its juniors back in eights with very few masks in evidence.
I am not surprised. There is more ignorance and stupidity out there than we normally assume to be the case. And quite frankly most of it is among the adults running things as well as some parents who may be worried about how this will all affect recruiting to that golden college team!!! Sometimes I think we do too much to prevent the implementation of the whole survival of the fittest process. If we just let the stupid be eliminated by their own stupidity the intelligence level of the species would probably start to go back up.
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

bendtheoar wrote:
Long'n Strong wrote:One local club has its juniors back in eights with very few masks in evidence.
I am not surprised. There is more ignorance and stupidity out there than we normally assume to be the case. And quite frankly most of it is among the adults running things as well as some parents who may be worried about how this will all affect recruiting to that golden college team!!! Sometimes I think we do too much to prevent the implementation of the whole survival of the fittest process. If we just let the stupid be eliminated by their own stupidity the intelligence level of the species would probably start to go back up.
A woman moved from Limburg in Belgium to Limburg in the Netherlands and the IQ of both countries went up.
rowingallday
JV

Post by rowingallday »

oldman wrote:
bendtheoar wrote:
A woman moved from Limburg in Belgium to Limburg in the Netherlands and the IQ of both countries went up.
Just an 8+?

One of the clubs out here spotted with a barge-load of kids. Hard to imagine those 18 are quarantining together
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Cowbells123 wrote:
Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:So Harvard will be remote for the 2020/21 academic year. I imagine that’s the rowing season done and dusted.
And was just told that state dept isn’t issuing student visas if their college is exclusively online learning. So that means a whole segment of international students will not be allowed entry even to do online learning while residing on campus or in off campus housing...

If I can find link I will post.
So it's Americans only, and everyone out in singles. Now that's a revolution!
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

The foreign students will be allowed in on normal travel basis which is 90 days.

Assuming there are no general travel bans for all.