Are college coaches good for the US national team?

rowing
Old timer

Re: Are college coaches good for the US national team?

Post by rowing »

Not for nothing, but John Wilkes Booth was a lightweight----5'8", 160 lbs.
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyv7RE-R ... 5qY2l0dg==

So are College Junior recruits just early starters in the sport who have a short term advantage but are at the top of their limited potential.

I have seen so many Junior superstars fade into obscurity because they are the result of a head start and lots of quality coaching. But they don’t have the biomechanics or the physiology to go further
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

In the good old days college coaches realized that the best high school athletes were not rowers - they played other sports. So, they had the freshman/novice team to recruit these athletes from other sports into rowing their freshman year.

Now, they simply shop the top proven athletes from other countries. On the men's side it is a necessity due to restricted roster size due to Title IX. On the women's side it is also a necessity due to limited coaching staff to run a really large program.

I think if I were a women's DI coach today I would be grateful if my university had a club program for women and make it really clear to the club - we will recruit from you if you recruit top athletes to your team. Having an effective recruiting pipeline of students who are ALREADY on your campus would be huge. Probably even more so at Ivy's, Stanford and Duke.

According to the link above Wisco's women's program has produced 18 Olympians and only one of them rowed in high school.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:43 pm https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyv7RE-R ... 5qY2l0dg==

So are College Junior recruits just early starters in the sport who have a short term advantage but are at the top of their limited potential.

I have seen so many Junior superstars fade into obscurity because they are the result of a head start and lots of quality coaching. But they don’t have the biomechanics or the physiology to go further
If it is a recurring theme at a program, I would look to the recruiter who failed to do their homework.
crewu wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:37 am I think if I were a women's DI coach today I would be grateful if my university had a club program for women and make it really clear to the club - we will recruit from you if you recruit top athletes to your team. Having an effective recruiting pipeline of students who are ALREADY on your campus would be huge. Probably even more so at Ivy's, Stanford and Duke.
Does not seem to be a common occurrence a the schools that have both varsity and club.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

No it is not.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

crewu wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:37 am In the good old days college coaches realized that the best high school athletes were not rowers - they played other sports. So, they had the freshman/novice team to recruit these athletes from other sports into rowing their freshman year.

Now, they simply shop the top proven athletes from other countries. On the men's side it is a necessity due to restricted roster size due to Title IX. On the women's side it is also a necessity due to limited coaching staff to run a really large program.

I think if I were a women's DI coach today I would be grateful if my university had a club program for women and make it really clear to the club - we will recruit from you if you recruit top athletes to your team. Having an effective recruiting pipeline of students who are ALREADY on your campus would be huge. Probably even more so at Ivy's, Stanford and Duke.

According to the link above Wisco's women's program has produced 18 Olympians and only one of them rowed in high school.
So in your world club teams exist solely as feeder programs for the varsity teams? If so, why would the club team need to exist? Varsity programs recruit, take walk-ons, develop talent, etc. No club team is going to form to serve the varsity team, that's not how it works. And not just in rowing, in any sport.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Varsity teams tend not to like club teams. It gives varsity rowers an exit strategy if they like rowing but don't want to keep training at a high level, and let's face it, the training demands of a varsity program will ask very, very hard questions of every athlete involved. In seasons of weakness, that club team might be an incentive for some to quit for the club team when they could have endured and become varsity contributors.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Remomex wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:13 amSo in your world club teams exist solely as feeder programs for the varsity teams?
I described a benefit, not a sole purpose.
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

fullmetal wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:57 pm Varsity teams tend not to like club teams. It gives varsity rowers an exit strategy if they like rowing but don't want to keep training at a high level, and let's face it, the training demands of a varsity program will ask very, very hard questions of every athlete involved. In seasons of weakness, that club team might be an incentive for some to quit for the club team when they could have endured and become varsity contributors.
Does this really happen with any notable frequency? I don't think most of the kids that would quit to join the club would necessarily have a high probability of Varsity contribution, and if they do it's probably an indictment of the varsity team and they would have quit anyway. Not to mention, most people that quit something usually aren't too keen to be in the vicinity of the group they left.