1x Boat Acceleration Curves?

Moderator: bendtheoar

RacerX
Novice

1x Boat Acceleration Curves?

Post by RacerX »

Does anyone have boat acceleration curves for the 1x they would share and discuss?
RBN 2003/11 and RBN 2012/140 have nice discussion of idealized curve.
Is there a different curve for the 1x?
track_bites
Varsity

Re: 1x Boat Acceleration Curves?

Post by track_bites »

RBN2013/07 has a more detailed breakdown of the phases of the stroke cycle and acceleration curve, but no indication if the data is from a 1x or a different boat.

I'd be happy to post curves that I have taken using Crewnerd for me in my 1x, but I doubt anyone would learn much from them other than I have a lot to learn about rowing. :shock:
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Magnus Burbanks at Molesey Boat Club in the UK has done some analysis of boat acceleration using an accelerometer on some good scullers:

http://www.slidingseat.net/accel/accel.html

The rest of his site is well worth a read too.
track_bites
Varsity

Post by track_bites »

Well, here goes. Here is a bit of side video and the matching acceleration and inferred velocity curves for me rowing at 30 SPM.

I post it not as example of what acceleration curves should look like, but rather as matched pair so you might see how the flaws visible in my stroke inn the video can be seen in the curves.

The velocity curve is just a running sum of the acceleration curve, so the absolute values are meaningless, but the shape should be right. The data comes from the Crewnerd app running on an iphone which samples boat acceleration every 20msec, so it is not nearly as good as the data on referenced website, but it seems to provide helpful data.

You tube embedding doesn't seem to work for me, so here it is as a link to the video. The plot is for strokes that happen about 30 seconds into the video.
http://rowvid.com/?v=3I4wT_fB90w

The things I noticed from the video and the velocity curve:
- There is a jog in the drive right at the beginning. I am not sure I understand where it is coming from, but I assume it means that I am not applying power smoothly into the drive.
- There is a pronounced plateau and then sharp ramp at the end of the recovery. I think that this correlates to one of the major problems with my stroke right now, which is not getting my hands away fast enough and then rushing up the slide to the catch.
- My rowing would benefit greatly if I could lose another 20 pounds. I'm working on it.

I am more than a little intimidated posting this as I have only been rowing regularly since July of last year and I am not getting any real coaching. I welcome your feedback, but please be gentle with me. :oops:
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

Reply to track_bites sent as PM