Nielsen-Kellerman GPS model 2 review

Stelph
Pre-Elite

Nielsen-Kellerman GPS model 2 review

Post by Stelph »

Just thought I'd link my review of the NK GPS model 2, physically not a lot of changes from the model 1 but the additional features of workouts and ability to export the workout data make it an excellent purchase/upgrade from the model 1

https://rowingmusings.wordpress.com/201 ... -0-review/
aks753
JV

Re: Nielsen-Kellerman GPS model 2 review

Post by aks753 »

Can you setup workouts on the computer and then download them to the SpeedCoach or do you have to set them up on the SpeedCoach itself?

One thing I would like NK to add is the ability to see both impeller and GPS splits on the screen at the same time - during a head race I like to see the impeller splits but rely on the GPS to tell me where I am on the course. That said, I am trying to go without the impeller right now but training on a tidal river makes the GPS splits not too helpful.
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

aks753 wrote:Can you setup workouts on the computer and then download them to the SpeedCoach or do you have to set them up on the SpeedCoach itself?
No you don't set the workouts up on the computer, you do it on the speedcoach, but it's remarkably easily to set up workouts on the NK, setting up as many intervals as you like and saving 6 different ones at a time
aks753 wrote:One thing I would like NK to add is the ability to see both impeller and GPS splits on the screen at the same time - during a head race I like to see the impeller splits but rely on the GPS to tell me where I am on the course. That said, I am trying to go without the impeller right now but training on a tidal river makes the GPS splits not too helpful.
Might be possible to show GPS speed at the same time as the impeller (contact them and suggest it, they're open to suggestions!),tho if it's steering you're looking for then there's no way the screen would be up to that, you'd have to stick to a Garmin or see what companion apps come out for mobile devices that could be used at the same time
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

Thanks for the extensive, and great, review.

I got mine in the mail yesterday, can't wait to use it.
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

Stelph wrote:
aks753 wrote:tho if it's steering you're looking for then there's no way the screen would be up to that, you'd have to stick to a Garmin or see what companion apps come out for mobile devices that could be used at the same time
Just distance to the end of the race . . .
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

Anyone else having problems with the Link bluetooth application? I can't get my computer to recognize my speedcoach.

Edit: Figured it out
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

To add to the review, when they warn that it doesn't float, they are not kidding. Took only a few seconds for mine to disappear into the depths of the river today - but the cursing lasted a bit longer.
WashedUpOldMan
Varsity

Post by WashedUpOldMan »

aks753 wrote:To add to the review, when they warn that it doesn't float, they are not kidding. Took only a few seconds for mine to disappear into the depths of the river today - but the cursing lasted a bit longer.
Always use the lanyard to secure it to a stretcher or rigger.

At that price, rent some diving gear and go in after it.
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

I would go looking for it, but our river is pretty gross (just a bit downstream from a sewage treatment plant). And, yes, I agree on the lanyard (which I usually use but was rushed this morning).
Michael
Pre-Elite

Post by Michael »

If you have multiple boats, and you want to race them over a set distance, and you have each boat use its GPS and set it for the distance, how close will all the boats come to actually racing the same distance?
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

One way to find out is just put it on the ground and see if the display says it moved. When GPSs first came out and the signals were degraded you might see a spike of a half mile. I have not done it in a while with a GPS but I know it got a lot better from early on. Last time I tried that I think it was staying within three or four feet most of the time for the time period I did.