Training for the Complete Rower : A Guide to Improving Performance

limegreenspeed
Elite

Training for the Complete Rower : A Guide to Improving Performance

Post by limegreenspeed »

Has anyone read this book by the GB women/lightweight head coach Paul Thompson? Anything decent or new in it? Part of me expects it to be the same common and good sense advice we already know, but who knows, maybe there are some good GB innovations included. The one amazon review I read of it made it sound underwhelming.

http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781785000867
Grover
Pre-Elite

Re: Training for the Complete Rower : A Guide to Improving Performance

Post by Grover »

From a training perspective the only real quality book is 'rowing faster' either the original or the updates edition

That covered literally everything

You want to know the GBsecret..I will tell you...

Fund your athletes so they train 3 sessions a day, have numerous training camps both for rowing and cycling at altitude, compete at least at two if not three world cups a year,

If people get injured it doesn't matter as they either get better or another 6ft 4 sporting giant comes into the ranks to replace them

The GB secret is "more"
More volume, more training camps, more weights,more regattas attended, more years rowing etc etc
RiggerJigger
Pre-Elite

Re: Training for the Complete Rower : A Guide to Improving Performance

Post by RiggerJigger »

Just finished reading "Training for the Complete Rower"

Reads very similarly to Mcarthur's High Performance Rowing, with the addition of some details on mobility work which was fun but fairly basic. No secret insight into Team GB as I had hoped for, just a successful coach laying down the basics of a good rowing program from a physical, mental, and technical stand point.

I enjoyed it, but if I was short on cash and wanted to only buy one book on rowing, I would buy Rowing Faster as Grover suggested. The multiple coach chapter to chapter format is hard to beat!