Matrix Big Repair Advice

Moderator: lt.wolf

gettozechoppa
Novice

Matrix Big Repair Advice

Post by gettozechoppa »

I have come into a 2000-something Vespoli 2x/- that is in two pieces. It's a fairly clean break between the skeg and the cockpit. One or two short cracks run along the deck as well, but the main damage is the one BIG break that is almost as if someone took a chainsaw and went right through the hull (it was actually caused by getting walloped on a turn on a trailer, but it's straight up and down, clean around). My assumption is it's not worth my time to fix myself, but it's also not worth the ding to my wallet to contract out to a repair company. So say I took on this project of mending the boat to rowable--not racing--quality, where would I start?

I have some ideas, but believe I would benefit from the collective wisdom here.

Thanks.
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Re: Matrix Big Repair Advice

Post by KiwiCanuck »

Well... If it's clean across and straight, could you bond in a bulkhead and make it sectional? Join the two sections and then cover over the decking?

Or, bond in a brace inside after making sure the break is mated as precisely as you can get it, then when the inside is bonded up and re-decked (with the bits you cut away) clean off the outer hull (rout the hull away from the honeycomb) for a few inches either side of the break and lay-up some carbon overlapping the break? then do all the necessary filling, smoothing, painting...

Or, (and you'll need to cut the decking off for this, too) Clean up the edges so that it's straight, mate them up (you can drill holes, screw in temporary supports, clamp end bits in somewhat like a surgeon might do putting bone ends together) bond up the inside with a layer of glass or carbon, take off the temporary supports, clean up the edges of the outside, carefully use a router to remove the outer layer of carbon for a few inches either side of the break, lay-up a new layer of carbon, glue the decking back on, bondo (waterproof), fair it all smooth, paint it - that's the short, non-detailed description of how I'd try to do it.

This is just spewing possible ideas - I've seen it done with a wooden boat that had been rowed up a water-ski jump - snapped the bow off...
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

First do not let people play with it. If it is not in two pieces then perhaps tape on some wooden splints so that the edges do not banged up and harder to line up. I can write more later.
rowing_group
Novice

Post by rowing_group »

I think it’s worth repairing. I’ve reconnected a single before that was a “clean” break. Though no break is ever really that clean. (Photos attached)

Where are you located? How did you get your hands on the boat? Sounds like a good project if you have the time. I would definitely take on the project if it was in the Midwest or even better, in Chicago.

You would need a dedicated repair space, somewhere you could leave the boat overnight while it cures. You would need something to support the work. Depending on where it broke, maybe a large dead-flat table, or an old door on saw horses. Four sets of identical boat slings might work, too.

You’ll also need some long flat material, like steel box tubing, old hockey sticks, or even (verified) dead-straight 2x4s. Nothing worse than doing all the work only to discover you put it together with a twist. The boat would never run true. So getting long flat material to made sure the boat stays straight is key. Like splints on a broken bone.

I’d recommend also using a laser level, if you don’t have one borrow one from a friend. Something to allow you to verify that the boat is straight, testing the accuracy of those long pieces of material that will keep the boat straight while applying the repair material.

Materials would be cheap. Get some West System and some yards of carbon fiber. Might cost you $60 for the new West System resin/slow hardener with pumps, maybe $40 - $60 worth of carbon fiber, standard 3k, nothing fancy or unidirectional. You’ll spend on sandpaper, cups and brushes, and ideally some peel-ply (release fabric) or wax paper if you’re looking for a budget solution. Plus blue tape. I’d also use a Dremel with a cutting disk to adjust bent or crushed areas. And for the middle, if it’s a core boat, some honeycomb isn’t too hard to find online. You’ll need to repair each side of the sandwich separately, inside first makes it easier.

The repair would take me maybe 6-8 sessions of carbon fiber, sanding, cutting and measuring. But I’ve not seen the boat so I’m just making an estimate based on what you’ve described. (Post a photo!)

I would also so it soon before it gets cold. Cold will prevent epoxy from curing properly, so don’t wait until the fall to start the project.

I’m happy to help with more specific information if you’re interested.
Attachments
86DCDB57-D6C5-4173-A2C5-5DF90665A3C4.jpeg
86DCDB57-D6C5-4173-A2C5-5DF90665A3C4.jpeg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 408 times
D8E112F6-D5DD-48AE-BDE5-D2F95C17AA04.jpeg
D8E112F6-D5DD-48AE-BDE5-D2F95C17AA04.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 408 times