Need TRX workouts suggestions

singlesculler
Pre-Elite

Need TRX workouts suggestions

Post by singlesculler »

I have a TRX, and am looking for some rowing focused TRX workouts to supplement my rowing. I don't have any free weights at home, so looking for some body-weight/TRX workouts to increase my strength and stability. Any favorite workouts or guides would be greatly appreciated
Steven M-M
Elite

Re: Need TRX workouts suggestions

Post by Steven M-M »

I also have a TRX at home but use it less than I had anticipated, more in the between season than during rowing season. Rather than looking for rowing specific exercises--erg or boat is best for that--you might turn to your TRX to improve your overall body/muscle balance and focus more on injury-resistance than rowing specific strength. The sequence I use the most is their "healthy back" exercises. It starts with the shoulders and thoracic spine (areas of tightness for me) and works down.
Steven M-M
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

TRX pushups are pretty intense. Well, when I used to do them. Right now I'm just working on plate-pushaways.
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Pushups:
For thirty years I have tried intermittently to incorporate simple pushups into my routine and every time I tried just one or two pushups my right shoulder would start aching after a few days to the point where I could feel a chronic shoulder problem coming on. I always really wanted to do pushups for the many core and upper body benefits.
So, like for any other problem on just about anything, I turned to Youtube. Why in the heck did I wait so long? Youtube has an answer for EVERYTHING!
Sure enough, I learned that if you get superior, anterior shoulder pain, days and weeks after doing even just a very few pushups, change your hand position so your fingers are pointing straight out about 90* to the long axis of your torso, away from you; anti-cubital fossae (the inside of your elbow) pointing almost straight forward. Wa-La, Problem totally solved and I am working on increasing my volume of pushups to twenty and zero shoulder pain.
Last edited by 1xsculler on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
johnlbauman
Novice

Post by johnlbauman »

I use a TRX pretty frequently and like it a lot. I don't have full workout recommendations, but I think I can suggest some things you might want to incorporate into your workouts:
* As rowers, we probably have better than average posterior chains. So, in order to not have imbalances, especially work on the other side. Anything that has you in a plank position (pikes, crunches, saw -- or saw to pike if you're nuts), push-ups and lots of them.
* Using a TRX is a good way to work out imbalances from left-to-right. So, I do lots of single-leg exercise. TRX suspended lunges (front and side), pistol squats, TRX sprinter starts are some.
* I do a decent bit of core work. Anything that has you in a plank suffices, but I also do some specific exercises, especially to make sure my hip flexors get some work. So, situps, crunches, any kind of leglift exercise like teaser.
* As you get stronger, add some imbalance elements, like a bosu ball. Doing lunges while standing on a bosu (round-side down) are nuts.
Youtube and instagram are good resources to find videos of specific exercises. TRXtraining used to have a bunch of free stuff, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

Regards,
John
ROWBOTTOM
Varsity

Post by ROWBOTTOM »

Two of my circuit stations

Incline rows. These are great for focusing on drawing the arms in a single plane of motion, isolating/working the shoulders/upper back and finishing nice and wide through the chest. By moving the feet and increasing the angle, you can increase/decrease load and really work the set/reps to exhaustion. Six sets of 60 reps.

Glute/ham plank/curls: Stirrups 2-3ft off ground, lying on back, position hips well through the stirrups. Plank up for a 3-count, use the hip flexors to draw the knees fully to the chest/catch position for a 3-count, extend back to a plank for a 3-count, put hips back on ground for a 3-count (repeat). Great for isolating hip flexors to draw the boat under the body & a real hamstring-burner. Six sets of 12 reps