Heading to Princeton

fatsculler
Old timer

Heading to Princeton

Post by fatsculler »

I shall be in Princeton on the 10-11th December (for work, but will be free in the evenings)....what should I see...where should I eat/drink?
The older I get, the better I was
PubliusRex
Novice

Re: Heading to Princeton

Post by PubliusRex »

You should email Greg Hughes or Marty Crotty. They would probably love to see someone of your caliber passing through fats
I remember a work friend mentioning Hoagie Heaven as one of the greats of student food there
lucernebronze
Novice

Post by lucernebronze »

Agree you should contact the coaches (including open women's coach Lori Dauphiny). When you visit the boathouse, be sure to ask about the provenance of the Leander flag in the ballroom. You may also want to reach out to Ed Hewitt of Row2k who is based there. A rowing-themed tour might include: (1) Small World Coffee, 14 Witherspoon, where athletes caffeinate for studying; (2) Tacoria, 110 Nassau, often the place for a rower's 5th meal of the day; (3) Hoagie Haven (mentioned above) -- the Bloch hoagie was named after Sam Loch '06 for his special request -- chicken parm with fried eggs on top; and (4) Thomas Sweet, 183 Nassau -- the first location of the original ice cream blend-in -- Chris Penny '85 would magically appear there just before closing most nights to help them "clean up" -- a classic example of the college rower's quest to maximize calories per dollar . . .
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

lucernebronze wrote:Agree you should contact the coaches (including open women's coach Lori Dauphiny). When you visit the boathouse, be sure to ask about the provenance of the Leander flag in the ballroom. You may also want to reach out to Ed Hewitt of Row2k who is based there. A rowing-themed tour might include: (1) Small World Coffee, 14 Witherspoon, where athletes caffeinate for studying; (2) Tacoria, 110 Nassau, often the place for a rower's 5th meal of the day; (3) Hoagie Haven (mentioned above) -- the Bloch hoagie was named after Sam Loch '06 for his special request -- chicken parm with fried eggs on top; and (4) Thomas Sweet, 183 Nassau -- the first location of the original ice cream blend-in -- Chris Penny '85 would magically appear there just before closing most nights to help them "clean up" -- a classic example of the college rower's quest to maximize calories per dollar . . .
Wow thanks. That sounds a bit much for my brief visit in December, but I’m back again in January so I can pick up anything I’ve missed then. Would love to pop in to the Princeton boathouse for a nose around!
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

You could probably ride along for a practice or two if the scheduling worked out...if they're not confined to land already.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Have e mailed Greg and he’s kindly invited me to watch a session on either Monday or Tuesday as the guys prep for their 6K test on Wednesday.
LoreMaster1
Old timer

Post by LoreMaster1 »

Nice! Greg's an awesome guy, and very interesting to ride a launch with (or... watch an erg session with? again, not sure if they're still on the water).

Hoagie Haven is... an experience. Worth going at least once in your life, and possibly no more than that if you value your arteries.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Will be in Princeton again on 4th & 5th Feb if anyone’s around?