Henley `19

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

JCrew
Elite

Henley `19

Post by JCrew »

Henley Royal Regatta is right around the corner. Time to discuss which International crews are making the trip, what events they are entered in, how many rowers they had to replace (PGs, too old, summer job, etc), and does anyone have a chance against the best of the UK (doubt it).

Here is what I've heard so far:

Confirmed as attending:
  • Boston College HS
    Green Lake (club - have entered the Thames Cup in the past)
    Kent School
    Lawrenceville School
    St. Joe's Prep
    St. Paul's School (NH)
Rumored to be attending:
  • Scotch College, Melbourne
Who am I missing:
  • ???
Of these crews, everyone but St. Joes and Scotch College are racing at Marlow Regatta this weekend. Not sure who will be at Reading on the Saturday after qualifiers.

BC High is bringing an 8. Their 1st boat was seeded #18 at NEIRAs and finished 10th; 2nd boat finished 5th. This trip could be a reward for a senior heavy boat, a very young boat that they are getting ready for the future, or the results of a decision that was made in the winter/early spring when they had higher hopes for the season.
Kent is bringing an 8. Their 1st and 2nd boats both won NEIRAs. In the past they have had PGs or other rowers who are too old and have had to substitute them or race in the Temple Cup. My understanding is that they've switched in a couple of rowers from the 2nd boat to make their entry PE eligible.
Lville is bringing an 8 and a 4. Their senior boat came in 5th at Stotes while their junior boat came in 3rd.
Prep heavyweight 8 won Stotesbury, came in 4th at SRAAs, and 12th at Youth Invite. Looks like they are bringing their heavies but their lights arguably had a better season: won both Stotes & SRAAs and finished 4th at Youths. Doubt they're messing with the lineup though.
SPS is bringing an 8 and a 4. Their 1st boat came in 2nd behind Kent at NEIRAs; 2nd boat came in 3rd. They gained a lot of speed at the end of the season as they got more water time, likely to be even faster since New Englands.

Not sure what Green Lake (two 8s?), Prep (one 8?), and Scotch (one 8?) are bringing but we'll know soon enough when the HRR entries are revealed.
JCrew
Elite

Re: Henley `19

Post by JCrew »

Entries for the 2019 Henley Royal Regatta are posted here:
https://www.hrr.co.uk/henley-royal-rega ... 19-entries

2019 sees a total entry of 659 crews (almost 100 more than last year and a record), from 17 countries. The USA has 38 entries at this year’s Regatta.

Schoolboy events are listed below, American crews are in bold. No surprises in the PE entries, the same 5 crews I mentioned the other day are attending. Green Lake has 2 entries in the Thames Cup. No entries from the US in the Fawley (boys quads) or the Diamond Jubilee (girls quads). crews who we hadn’t been talking about are making the trip. Back to the PE, there seems to be a light international entry this year, only 3 other crews besides the Americans: Flatow-Oberschule from Germany (they've sent several rowers to Sprints schools recently including Yale, Princeton, and Northeastern) and two Australian entries with similar names which will certainly get confusing - Scotch College of Melbourne who I believe are the Australian schoolboy champs and The Scots College who I know nothing about. Any other interesting entries people notice?

Here are the US high school age entrants:

The Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup
Holders: St. Paul's School

150 Abingdon School
151 Bedford Modern School
152 Bedford School
153 Boston College High School, U.S.A.
154 Bryanston School
155 Canford School
156 Claires Court School
157 Dulwich College
158 Emanuel School
159 Eton College
160 Flatow-Oberschule, Germany
161 Hampton School
162 Kent School, U.S.A.
163 King's College School, Wimbledon
164 Latymer Upper School
165 Lawrenceville School, U.S.A.
166 Monkton Combe School
167 Monmouth School
168 Norwich School
169 Pangbourne College
170 Radley College
171 Reading Blue Coat School
172 St. Edward's School
173 St. George's College
174 St. Joseph's Preparatory School, U.S.A.
175 St. Paul's School
176 St. Paul's School, Concord, U.S.A.
177 St. Peter's School
178 Scotch College, Melbourne, Australia
179 Shiplake College
180 Shrewsbury School
181 The King's School, Canterbury
182 The King's School, Chester
183 The King's School, Worcester
184 The Scots College, Australia
185 Westminster School
186 Winchester College