H2Row bow and stern lights

WingedFoot
Pre-Elite

H2Row bow and stern lights

Post by WingedFoot »

Can anyone vouch for these lights?

http://www.h2row.net/id72.html

It's a good price. Will I get a good light?
LakeGator
Varsity

Re: H2Row bow and stern lights

Post by LakeGator »

H2Row makes good shoes and seems to take their quality seriously so I would guess these are good lights. I don’t have them so cannot help directly, however. One of guys bought a set of lights similar a few years ago that we use. They are not nearly as visible as desirable so we don’t use them. I would hope H2Row has a better product. They are certainly much cheaper in price.

What we us now is these ‘waterproof’ rechargeable bike lights. The white light is very visible for 1,500 meters or more and the red just under that distance. We always run them in blink mood to increase battery life and improve visibility. We row on a river and channel where a steady light blends in with the various lights on the shore.

I hope this is a little help and that someone with actual experience can weigh in soon.
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

We've used these rechargeable LED lights: http://amzn.to/2uSW5Zp. Essentially the same as above, just a little cheaper.

Been very happy with them. They have lasted for over two years. Very very bright. Can easily be seen from one end of a 2000m course. They are waterproof and, because they are rechargeable, you're not always having to buy new batteries. Easily attached to a rigger or to a rudder post.

http://amzn.to/2uSW5Zp
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

These are good lights, but if you are rowing in an urban environment, I would highly recommend Kraft lights. it's real easy to lose a small light on a shell amidst all the clutter of building, street, bridge and traffic lights reflecting off the water. Kraft are brighter, rechargeable and they float.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

JD wrote:These are good lights, but if you are rowing in an urban environment, I would highly recommend Kraft lights. it's real easy to lose a small light on a shell amidst all the clutter of building, street, bridge and traffic lights reflecting off the water. Kraft are brighter, rechargeable and they float.
+1 for RowKraft. They are very well thought out. They float, are waterproof, and the charge lasts a LONG time. They are highly visible from a long ways off, even in fog. But they don't dazzle the eyes of the rowers. Often, a white stern light can blind the stroke (or single), which is kind of important in blind boats...

IMO, Blinking leds are not adequate. Especially on rivers or lakes where there are reflections from cars. As a coach, I am focusing on the boats I am coaching, so I will often not see a single (the worst offenders... spend $10K+ on a single, but then too cheap to buy lights?) until I am just about on top of them. Several rowers at our club have Revolution Rowing number clip light with blinking lights that are soooooo dim, I can't see them until it is almost too late. What is the point. (not to disparage Revolution, I really like their boat racks).

Larger leds would help.

But RowKraft are better.

As an aside, a HUGE pet peeve of mine is that no rowing shell builder makes any design consideration for electronics. They all say pretty much the same thing: not our job. All boats should come with lights built in. Leds are so good now that they can be completely invisible and hidden when not in use. And every 4 and 8 should come with a sound system built in. When I bought my first car at age 16, I installed a stereo myself. There were no dangling wires, or exposed unattached speakers. It is crazy to spend $55K+ on a new racing 8 that has the most ghetto sound system and lights...
Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year
bd_sculler
Pre-Elite

Post by bd_sculler »

You have probably seen cyclists riding with ultra bright rechargeable flashing daytime lights, increasing their visibility. I thought I would try them on my boat for extra visibility during daytime, flashing white toward the stern and flashing red on portside toward the bow of course. Most of the power boaters on our river are courteous and friendly. Unfortunately, there is the occasional moron blasting down the river at full throttle. I always hope he sees me if he is headed my way. Here is the stern light with the adapter.

I have some pieces of flat aluminum and aluminum tubing, a hack saw, a drill, pliers to bend the tubing a little, and a pop riveter so I made adapters for the daytime lights. They go on top of the oarlocks.
adapter2.jpg
adapter2.jpg (293.96 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

bd_sculler wrote:You have probably seen cyclists riding with ultra bright rechargeable flashing daytime lights, increasing their visibility. I thought I would try them on my boat for extra visibility during daytime, flashing white toward the stern and flashing red on portside toward the bow of course. Most of the power boaters on our river are courteous and friendly. Unfortunately, there is the occasional moron blasting down the river at full throttle. I always hope he sees me if he is headed my way. Here is the stern light with the adapter.

I have some pieces of flat aluminum and aluminum tubing, a hack saw, a drill, pliers to bend the tubing a little, and a pop riveter so I made adapters for the daytime lights. They go on top of the oarlocks.
adapter2.jpg

this has always been my though with regard to lights in an urban environment both bicycle commuting & rowing.
in the city on the streets & river there are hundreds of non-blinking lights, so a blinking one stands out more readily.
yes, depth/distance perception is worse with a blinking light, but i am worried about being seen first and foremost.

i use my "attention getting" bike lights on my boat, in blinking mode - they last a week + of rowing and commuting before they need a USB charge. then i also have my actual 700 lumen headlight for street illumination on my bike - that is a steady light & focused to provide me a better view of the road.

Cycling i have also opted for a better horn: https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-Airz ... 000ACAMJC/