Moderator: fatsculler

Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Re: Senior British Championships cancelled

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

Chris A wrote:
Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:Firstly why Chris

And secondly then make it suitable

But it looked to be like every junior in the frigging country was there so why can’t it be the Youth Nationals??
Because they've removed many of the boat classes because of the fetish schools have with eights racing. Yes I'd quite like to see small boats racing and could well do without a race for third eights.
That’s a tweek. Further the youth national championships should be just U18. They can run all those boat classes. It’s ridiculous to expect them all to gather for Nat schools and then again somewhere else
jamesc
JV

Post by jamesc »

Chris A wrote:
Because they've removed many of the boat classes because of the fetish schools have with eights racing. Yes I'd quite like to see small boats racing and could well do without a race for third eights.
For J16s and above there are 8s, 4+, 4-, 2x, 2- and 1x. What's missing?
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

Chris A wrote:
Stelph wrote:
Mileage wrote:One of the crazy things about rowing in the UK is how Henley dictates everything. Its quite early into summer which is the best time to row, but as soon as HRR is over 80% of rowing packs it up for the season and stops. Nobody rows in the best months of the year.
I dunno, to put it another way - from July onward's rowers actually focus on enjoying the sport rather than fixedly focusing on peaking for a single event - just rowing for the sake of rowing on the river, and I really miss the fun July/August mixed 8+'s and other scratch crew regattas that you used to be able to enter for fun, but now you have to balance the fun with the potential to gather an unknown quantity of ranking points
No that's absolute rubbish. In the past you would have got exactly the same number of points as winning at the Met, now you will get a few RPs will be nothing as compared with a moderately decent performance at the HoRR of finallist at the Met.
How is that rubbish? Under the old system there were no points for mixed crews, do you get RP now for mixed crews? I believe you do, so its not fun its keeping the competitive edge and worry that racing will affect the status you will race next season and so you avoid it - RP's has removed the fun element.
Chris A
Veteran

Post by Chris A »

Stelph wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Stelph wrote:
Mileage wrote:One of the crazy things about rowing in the UK is how Henley dictates everything. Its quite early into summer which is the best time to row, but as soon as HRR is over 80% of rowing packs it up for the season and stops. Nobody rows in the best months of the year.
I dunno, to put it another way - from July onward's rowers actually focus on enjoying the sport rather than fixedly focusing on peaking for a single event - just rowing for the sake of rowing on the river, and I really miss the fun July/August mixed 8+'s and other scratch crew regattas that you used to be able to enter for fun, but now you have to balance the fun with the potential to gather an unknown quantity of ranking points
No that's absolute rubbish. In the past you would have got exactly the same number of points as winning at the Met, now you will get a few RPs will be nothing as compared with a moderately decent performance at the HoRR of finallist at the Met.
How is that rubbish? Under the old system there were no points for mixed crews, do you get RP now for mixed crews? I believe you do, so its not fun its keeping the competitive edge and worry that racing will affect the status you will race next season and so you avoid it - RP's has removed the fun element.
Yes you do get RPs for mixed crews. In an 8 boat event you'd get 7 at most. Compared with a possible 1160 maximum this is trivial and will have absolutely no effect on the status you race next year. I still cannot believe there's anyone out there with the mind-bogglingly stupid mentality that I must not race in case I'm too good.
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

Chris A wrote:
Stelph wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Stelph wrote:
Yes you do get RPs for mixed crews. In an 8 boat event you'd get 7 at most. Compared with a possible 1160 maximum this is trivial and will have absolutely no effect on the status you race next year. I still cannot believe there's anyone out there with the mind-bogglingly stupid mentality that I must not race in case I'm too good.
And yet there are many many people who do have that mentality, because they have first hand experience entering events racing, and collecting points , something that has got considerably worse since RPI started getting issued for head races and it formed a Thames Valley/provincial club point divide

Honestly, rather than rejecting something that may are reporting as actually happening why not focus on why it is happening and look for a fix, yours is a dangerous climate change denier type mentality
Chris A
Veteran

Post by Chris A »

Stelph wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Stelph wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Stelph wrote:
And yet there are many many people who do have that mentality, because they have first hand experience entering events racing, and collecting points , something that has got considerably worse since RPI started getting issued for head races and it formed a Thames Valley/provincial club point divide

Honestly, rather than rejecting something that may are reporting as actually happening why not focus on why it is happening and look for a fix, yours is a dangerous climate change denier type mentality
My God. Someone enters a race, does well and then moans like hell that they get recognised for doing so. We don't want these people in our sport. Fortunately entries are going up so if there are any strange people they are few and far between, rather than the "many, many" being alleged. A few people moaning on Twitter is not generally indicative of anything.