Attachments
352451AD-C2CC-4E67-AF6A-722EA010F5ED.jpeg
352451AD-C2CC-4E67-AF6A-722EA010F5ED.jpeg (292.23 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
PBR
Novice

Re: Youth Nationals Predictions

Post by PBR »

lt.wolf wrote:Commentary is good , still no rates given
Isaiah was rating about 32 for most by my watch. Brought it up to 33 at the end. Through the body, I had Willer at 36-37.

I’m thinking Isaiah will show up at Sr Trials too.

I have seen this kid throw down in person. A freight train. There’s video of him on Instagram from back in October going head to head for 500m vs some Redwood and Marin kids and some Cal internationals. He wins the 500m dash by lengths of open water and understrokes the field.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGx-rGDH3P ... =copy_link
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I'm on the Isaiah hype train. He's getting coached (remotely) by a several folks, and he puts in a lot of work.

That JM2- A final...insane.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

fullmetal wrote:I'm on the Isaiah hype train. He's getting coached (remotely) by a several folks, and he puts in a lot of work.

That JM2- A final...insane.
A 2+ m tall sculler & swimmer who lives lake front :!:
He seems to have the mentality & drive of the good single scullers.

I am really hoping the future can see him & Gennaro Di Mauro grow to a point of epic battles with Zeidler in the M1x. If the "old" men of Nielsen, Borch & Martin can hang around, even better :D
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

I imagine Clark Dean could have something to say about that. I know Isaiah is the current hotness, but Dean was comparatively more dominant at the same age and has clearly not slowed down.

It depends if Dean would he rather row the 8+/4- or the 1x, but if he wants the 1x, he'd be my pick for the foreseeable future.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

To be fair to Isaiah, Clark was in a significantly better rowing environment for culture, coaching and training.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

FullSend wrote:I imagine Clark Dean could have something to say about that. I know Isaiah is the current hotness, but Dean was comparatively more dominant at the same age and has clearly not slowed down.

It depends if Dean would he rather row the 8+/4- or the 1x, but if he wants the 1x, he'd be my pick for the foreseeable future.
Was there interviews of Dean remarking on his enjoyment of the big boats over the 1x?

Some people really like the camaraderie & team, others are drawn to the "lonely" training of small boats + 1x.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

lt.wolf wrote:To be fair to Isaiah, Clark was in a significantly better rowing environment for culture, coaching and training.
Oh definitely, you would think Isaiah has more room for growth. My point was just let's not just assume he's de facto the guy. Both are elite level talents.

Personally, I hope we don't end up with some sort of Mahe vs Waddell situation where you only get one of them competing (or someone is in a throw together boat) because the other is knocked out in 1x trials.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

sandor wrote:
FullSend wrote:I imagine Clark Dean could have something to say about that. I know Isaiah is the current hotness, but Dean was comparatively more dominant at the same age and has clearly not slowed down.

Was there interviews of Dean remarking on his enjoyment of the big boats over the 1x?

Some people really like the camaraderie & team, others are drawn to the "lonely" training of small boats + 1x.
I haven't seen anything definitive, there was some World Rowing interview where he said the 1x and big boats each have their own merits.

I would say there's probably something to the fact that when push has come to shove, he's seemed to have picked team boats (racing 8s at youths instead of 1x, going to the training center instead of focusing on the 1x) though maybe in high school he knew he had the 1x waiting at U19s in the summer.

This is just a wild a$$ guess, it wouldn't shock me of once he was done at Harvard he would rather do the 1x full time. That frees you to live (more or less) wherever you want and train on your own schedule so you could actually start a career.

Who knows though, he certainly will have options
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

FullSend wrote: Personally, I hope we don't end up with some sort of Mahe vs Waddell situation where you only get one of them competing (or someone is in a throw together boat) because the other is knocked out in 1x trials.
Getting just a little bit ahead of ourselves here, aren't we?
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

What better place to blindly speculate than a message board? That's the fun part!
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

Very true!
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Harrison took U19 JM1x trials with little ado.

https://www.herenow.com/results/#/races/20902/results
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 5.05.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 5.05.38 PM.png (37.33 KiB) Viewed 815 times
FLorange
Varsity

Post by FLorange »

FullSend wrote:
sandor wrote:

I haven't seen anything definitive, there was some World Rowing interview where he said the 1x and big boats each have their own merits.

I would say there's probably something to the fact that when push has come to shove, he's seemed to have picked team boats (racing 8s at youths instead of 1x, going to the training center instead of focusing on the 1x) though maybe in high school he knew he had the 1x waiting at U19s in the summer.

This is just a wild a$$ guess, it wouldn't shock me of once he was done at Harvard he would rather do the 1x full time. That frees you to live (more or less) wherever you want and train on your own schedule so you could actually start a career.

Who knows though, he certainly will have options
It's possible Dean chose the 8s because he "easily" won Stotes (Sr 1x in 2017) by 12 seconds, and was 17 seconds ahead of Germantown Friends/J. Wright (the 1x winner at SRAAs that year who was, in turn, 3 seconds off first at USRowing Youth nats a few weeks later).

I guess you can always just ask him, but that's crazy.....