Megaphone recommendations

Moderator: lt.wolf

Mandolorian
Varsity

Megaphone recommendations

Post by Mandolorian »

Anyone have good recommendations for coaching megaphones that they like? I know Blue Ocean is popular, but at roughly $400 a pop I don't know if we can buy those.

Any other suggestions that can handle getting a little wet, last longer than a year, and won't break the bank of a poor club?
Tiger10
JV

Re: Megaphone recommendations

Post by Tiger10 »

oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

Just don't bang 'em on the bottom of your boat when angry. And definitely don't throw them in the water.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

We have several Blue Oceans as old as 5 years. They are terrific. They've been in the water, bounced off the deck and all sorts of abuse. Two issues: The mics don't always work well when wet, but at least they will dry out. When it rains we grab our "booster" megaphones. Second, the batteries, which are the same as the coxbox batteries, don't always charge right. In every case, it's that the contacts on the battery or charger unit are dirty. Clean them with hand sanitizer (lots of that around) and you're set. I think they are worth it, and we've budgeted for more.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
samtaylor
JV

Post by samtaylor »

What JD said. I used many brands and was continually frustrated by water damage, random failures, etc, etc. Finally sprung for Blue Ocean when we had a little extra at the end of the year. That was five years ago and we’ve never looked back. They’re expensive up front but are a WAY better value over time.

Sam
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

Blue Ocean for us -- just a bit of plastic wrap over the mic to keep the rain out and you're good to go.