NCAA sites through 2026

FullSend
Elite

Re: NCAA sites through 2026

Post by FullSend »

cjrows wrote:
Remomex wrote:Lanier did always have very real problems with pleasure-craft waking the course, but I'll somewhat jokingly point out the ACRA officials are (or at least were) notorious for leaving wakes on the course on their way back toward the start as the next event would come down. Anyway, Oak Ridge is a fantastic course and better for spectators IMO.
While Oak Ridge is a beautiful course and great for spectating let's not forget the possibility of unfair current conditions. I've seen two days of rain before a regatta not only cause serious current, the course has been ripped out by current and debris. Yes the TVA can control current, there is a limit.

Let's remember the goal of having as fair a course as possible for the athletes.

RE: Lanier, who here is old enough to remember the lake police fcuking up the starting system for the Olympic finals.

Is there a course anywhere without its own issues?
Aren't the Oak Ridge current issues generally just a thing in early spring (March and early April)? My understanding is that isn't an issue during championship season other than really extreme circumstances
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I mean, there's the truth -- no venue is perfect, and we're just looking for the most acceptable issues. Location (travel burden), current/debris, wind, other weather (e.g. fog, heat), volunteer pool, equipment (e.g. launches), finish tower facilities...I mean, what else am I missing...
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Does anyone know if Aiken is actually up and running yet?

Seems like the Southeast region has its choice of decent race venues.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

What does Aiken have that Augusta doesn't...? If you're talking about Langley Pond, that doesn't look long/wide enough to host a 2k course...? Don't look at the Google Maps satellite photo, the pond looks nearly completely drained lol. It will handle a 1k masters course apparently (site of this year's SE masters regionals).

Looking at the row2k results page, the locations are listed to the right of every results link. There are a lot of venues there not mentioned here.
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

FWIW, the U.S. senior national team small boat trials were held in Aiken in July 1997 over the 2000 meters distance. I have not been back to the venue since then, so I can't comment on its current status as a host venue. (I was the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center coach for the winning women's 4- at those trials.)

Bill Zack
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

fullmetal wrote:What does Aiken have that Augusta doesn't...? If you're talking about Langley Pond, that doesn't look long/wide enough to host a 2k course...? Don't look at the Google Maps satellite photo, the pond looks nearly completely drained lol. It will handle a 1k masters course apparently (site of this year's SE masters regionals).

Looking at the row2k results page, the locations are listed to the right of every results link. There are a lot of venues there not mentioned here.
2000 meter course, 8 lanes, finish tower

Course map looks like the biggest issue would be traversing from launch to start (or finish line to docks)

The dried up Google images were probably from the time period they did the dam work (i had not realized Langley has been closed to recreation since 2014 because of the failing dam!)

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Langl ... 64393.html

https://discoveraikencounty.com/langley-pond-park/
Langley Pond Park is the perfect place for rowing regattas and winter training. Having hosted over 50 local, regional, and national level rowing events, Langley Pond Park quickly became a prominent rowing location before the 1996 Olympics. Langley Pond features a 2000 meter rowing course with eight fully buoyed lanes. Facilities include a finish line tower, boat ramp with boat dock, swim area, concession stand, large picnic shelter, grills, bathhouse, playground, and sandy beach. The parking area allows for trailer parking and additional parking near the picnic shelter.
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 5.57.56 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 5.57.56 AM.jpg (151.87 KiB) Viewed 472 times
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Not much room for warming up on the water, it seems--just loops in the pre-start area. Makes start marshaling (and late launching) a heck of a lot easier. I guess "lane 9" is the travel lane back home. Nice that they have width for eight lanes.

Langley Pond Parks owns the course (lines and buoys), it seems. I wonder what kind of launches they have. They mentioned dredging the sand bar, which is good. Google Maps shows a finish tower under construction, but not a finish line grandstand (or associated parking).

They were slated to open in Jan 2020 after years of repairing the dam; what rotten luck :( Glad they were able to stay the course and make the Pond a rowing venue again.