2023 NCAA Season

okayrower
Pre-Elite

Re: 2023 NCAA Season

Post by okayrower »

lt.wolf wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:24 pm David Wyant has passed , he spent his last weekend doing what he enjoyed.

My condolences to his family
Really sad. Heard he wasn’t doing well at NCAAs, and he obviously loved the sport. Nice guy and will certainly be missed down in Sarasota. My thought and prayers to his family.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

The Derek Byrnes podcast with post this week, a great one!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Stanford’s Derek Byrnes & Rowingwolf

Fresh off his first NCAA Championship, Stanford’s Head Women’s Rowing Coach Derek Byrnes in his one and only podcast and everything is on the table to discuss. Crew Classic to NCAA Champions , culture , the feels , women’s coaching , Ivy programs, KG and more .

*** forgive me for the rough cut as I recorded on the road while attending a wedding.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0617997598
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

Great audio -- don't apologize for the rough cut -- the idea of a guy who coached at the junior level taking that experience to achieve the top results in D1 is an illustration. Another thread talked about how assistants who only know D1 tend to repeat the same ol' same ol' without thinking about the bigger picture. This whole podcast is easy treasure to mine.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Really great podcast. Every answer seems insightful, and resonates with me. Every coach should pay attention to the thought behind all these answers, not just for the answers themselves, but the line of thinking that led there.
rowingusa
Novice

Post by rowingusa »

I loved this podcast. I am new to rowing but have learned a lot after finding this site. It’s nice to be able to hear directly from a head coach, especially a very successful one. I coach another sport, but lots of his ideas can be applied to any sport. It seems like Stanford really has a great TEAM mindset. The story about getting the rower to stroke the JV boat stands out. I also love the fact that the coaches rotate and coach the different boats at times. This is great for the rowers … and the coaches. Coxswain advice of never using the same calls. My favorite part was taking the whole team to Nationals. Thank you for the podcast, I want to go back to listen to the Texas coach podcast next. 👍
Last edited by rowingusa on Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

lt.wolf wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:59 am Stanford’s Derek Byrnes & Rowingwolf

Fresh off his first NCAA Championship, Stanford’s Head Women’s Rowing Coach Derek Byrnes in his one and only podcast and everything is on the table to discuss. Crew Classic to NCAA Champions , culture , the feels , women’s coaching , Ivy programs, KG and more .

*** forgive me for the rough cut as I recorded on the road while attending a wedding.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0617997598
Great interview! Loved the honesty and insights into rotating coaching boats.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Thank you to Derek for accommodating and thank you for listening