Golden Era of Rowing

Remomex
Old timer

Re: Golden Era of Rowing

Post by Remomex »

oldman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:26 pm followed by

The Triumph of the Amateurs: The Rise, Ruin, and Banishment of Professional Rowing in the Gilded Age

a great read
This is indeed a great read, however, the tragedy is that the sport's success brought about it's downfall within half a century. I won't give it away for those who are soon to read the book (not that it's much of an unknown), but I think this was more of a golden veneer age than a true golden age. I think the time described in Boys in the Boat when hundreds of thousands of spectators would follow the collegiate races on trains was more of a true golden age.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

The golden age was 1962 to 1965

https://sicovers.com/art/rowing

It didn't pan out.
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

IMHO, the "golden age" of Men's rowing was 1920-1964. So many great rowers in that era, that went on to become great coaches or great celebrities. I am of course heavily biased, being based in the PacNW.

For women's rowing, I think we're really only in the middle of it. 1996 - present. Arguably, you could even say 1980 - present. Title IX was a massive game changer in exploding sport for women, and rowing benefited greatly from it.
oneofthorsboys
JV

Post by oneofthorsboys »

In terms of being a truly International sport, the Dennis Oswald(President) and Thor Nilsen(Development) years 1985 - 2015 were the most important years. Membership in FISA went from 65 nations to 150 member Federations. While a lot of these are small, they are growing steadily bringing our sport to people all over the world.
While a lot of people here have focussed on their own country, rowing is an international sport and may it continue to be so.