Speed 5 with Kris Korzeniowski

Post by lt.wolf »

Coming soon
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Speed 5 with Kris Korzeniowski

Post by lt.wolf »

http://www.usrowing.org/DomesticRowing/ ... tions.aspx

Kris has been coaching internationally for more than 20 years, his boats have won multiple medals at the World Championships and Olympic Games. He has coached numerous national teams including Poland, Canada, Italy, China, Netherlands and the USA

Questions

WOLF- In my first coaching session with you in ARCO you called me a "national tragedy", now I have been called a lot of things on the water but that one really stuck with me, have you called people anything "better" and why?

KORZO -You know why, because it was so bad that I did not know where to start it, you were a real challenge, but we both pulled out of it. . Have I used anything else yes but I do not think I can say it out public now.

WOLF- You have a new role with US Rowing , what does it entail and will you miss coaching?

KORZO-It means that I will continue to do what I did in the past ,helping coaches to become more efficient, better coaches. Yes , I do miss direct coaching a lot, that is my first true love.

WOLF- Now I know you watch every single crew race at Worlds in every heat, rep, semi and final In your career what has been the best race you have witnessed and why?

KORZO-Tough question, each time you see a great race you think that is the best race ever and then you see another race and you think whaa what a race and that how it goes. 1987 Gold medal 8+, coming from behind with 6 undergraduates in the boat. Women 1x final in Sydney ,
after 2k of the race even fotofinish was not able to find any separation between two athletes.
Every big regatta has a special race or two races and that's what makes these events very exciting.

WOLF- In your time coaching in the USA what has been the best time you have had coaching?

KORZO-1984, everything worked except the final race in Lake Casitas, great guys, good selection, winning everything in Europe,Lucerne, Grenau in DDR. Especially Grenau where our boats pulled away from untouchable for us DDR's boats.

WOLF- Now to all the rowers and coaches out there what do you consider a good training week and what are the workouts involved?

KORZO- A good training week at this time of the year should cover in right proportions all physiological requiements of the 2k race. It means aerobic base - steady state, specific aerobic power- low cadence competitive ; anaerobic treshold AT-15-20' at 24-28; transportation - 5' at or just below the race pace as well as some short pieces above the race pace. All this stuff is well known the real art is how to put everything together, how to identify the needs of your boat and what kind of "medicine " prescribe for them.

- Extra one

WOLF You are one of the most passionate coaches, how do you keep that passion and how can others find and keep it?

KORZO- You must love what you are doing you must enjoy making a difference to the boat ,to the athletes. Sometimes as a coach you try all different approaches to correct this one mistake nothing works and then on the end you got it .Suddenly the boat starts to run, what a satisfaction ,the athlets smile and you feel like in haven. It is a very challenging process but it is like a fuel to your body.
oldman
Pre-Elite

Re: Speed 5 with Kris Korzeniowski

Post by oldman »

This was great. Can you find another one with Jesse Foglia or (literally any other top coach in the world)? Speed 5 sound like speed dating .. is it?

(also, the usrowing link is broken)