New NCAA Subdivision Proposed

Slim
Old timer

New NCAA Subdivision Proposed

Post by Slim »

https://theathletic.com/5114092/2023/12 ... lie-baker/

"The groundbreaking proposal was sent out to Division I members and obtained by The Athletic on Tuesday morning, and it included the following recommendations:
  • The formation of a new subdivision made up of institutions with the highest resources that can directly compensate athletes through an “enhanced educational trust fund,” which requires the schools that opt into it an investment of at least $30,000 per year per athlete for at least half of the school’s eligible athletes.
  • Schools would have to adhere to Title IX, providing equal monetary opportunities to both female and male athletes.
  • Schools in the new subdivision could create their own rules separate from the rest of D-I, and those rules would allow them the ability to address policies such as scholarship limits and roster size as well as transfers and NIL.
  • Any Division I school would be able to enter into an NIL deal with its athletes directly, which is not currently permissible.
  • Any Division I school would be able to distribute to any athlete funding related to educational benefits without any caps on such compensation.
"
socalstroke
Old timer

Re: New NCAA Subdivision Proposed

Post by socalstroke »

The beginning of the end.

Should give the UO lawsuit more ammunition. Bryant can practically quote the new proposal.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Letter from NCAA President, Charlie Baker

Dear Committee Members:

As you know, we have been reviewing the current state of college athletics for the past several months. During this review, several things have become clear:

For hundreds of thousands of young people – and for tens of millions over time – college sports are a pathway to a college degree, an invaluable learning experience and a major element in the plan that successfully launches them into adulthood.
Billions of dollars are invested annually by colleges and universities in their athletics programs, their student-athlete support systems and student-athletes. College sports alone delivered $4 billion in scholarships to hundreds of thousands of young people.
Graduation rates for student-athletes have risen dramatically over the past 15 years – so much so that across every demographic student-athletes graduate at a higher rate than their peers who are not student-athletes.
More is being done to build on this success:
Starting next year, all Division I schools will be required to guarantee the scholarships they offer to student-athletes, whether they play their sport or not.
Starting next year, all Division I schools will be required to provide up to 10 years of ongoing tuition assistance to scholarship athletes until they complete their degree.
Starting next year, all Division I schools will be required to provide mental health services to student-athletes consistent with the latest best practices.
Starting next year, student-athletes across all three divisions will have access to a nationwide injury insurance program that will provide two years of primary or secondary health insurance coverage if they get injured playing a sport for their school and are still in active treatment when they graduate or their eligibility has expired.
Looking ahead, financial and operational differences among colleges and universities across all three divisions, and even within Division I among the colleges and universities in Division I, are significant and poised to grow:

Across Division I, schools spend between $5 million and $250 million annually on their athletics programs.
59 Division I schools spend over $100 million annually on their athletics programs.
Another 32 Division I schools spend over $50 million annually on their athletics programs.
An additional 259 Division I schools spend less than $50 million, and of those, 144 Division I schools spend less than $25 million on their athletics programs.
Surprisingly, the schools that spend the most on college athletics rely on virtually no student fees to support their programs.
On average, 1.8% of an A5 athletics budget is paid for by student fees, while 14%-18% of the budgets for the remainder of Division I schools are funded by student fees.
98% of Division II and III schools spend less than $20 million annually on their athletics programs. Like most of their Division I colleagues, these schools make an investment in sports, and by doing so, they make an investment in the educational experience of their student-athletes. No one could possibly conclude that most of these schools “make money” on college athletics.
Despite the wide disparity in revenues and spending, the lessons over 500,000 student-athletes learn by participating in intercollegiate athletics are undeniably similar:
Student-athletes learn how to put their own interests aside in pursuit of a higher, more challenging, team-based objective.
They learn how to get back up when they get knocked down.
They learn how to push through adversity to achieve personal and team-based goals and objectives.
They learn how to master their craft, one that often requires hours and hours of teaching, coaching and practice.
They learn how to win with grace and lose with dignity.
They learn the power and importance of process – in both directions. Success is a process, and so is failure.
They also learn how to lean on their teammates and coaches in their personal pursuit of excellence – in the classroom and on the field of play.
However, the growing financial gap between the highest resourced colleges and universities and other schools in Division I has created a new series of challenges. The challenges are competitive as well as financial and are complicated further by the intersection of name, image and likeness opportunities for student-athletes and the arrival of the Transfer Portal.

The contextual environment is equally challenging, as the courts and other public entities continue to debate reform measures that in many cases would seriously damage parts or all of college athletics.

Therefore, it is time for us – the NCAA – to offer our own forward-looking framework. This framework must sustain the best elements of the student-athlete experience for all student-athletes, build on the financial and organizational investments that have positively changed the trajectory of women’s sports, and enhance the athletic and academic experience for student-athletes who attend the highest resourced colleges and universities.

To deliver on this framework, we need to make several fundamental changes. First, we should make it possible for all Division I colleges and universities to offer student-athletes any level of enhanced educational benefits they deem appropriate. Second, rules should change for any Division I school, at their choice, to enter into name, image and likeness licensing opportunities with their student-athletes.

These two changes will enhance the financial opportunities available to all Division I student-athletes. They will also help level what is fast becoming a very unlevel playing field between men and women student-athletes because schools will be required to abide by existing gender equity regulations as they make investments in their athletics programs.

Third, a subdivision comprised of institutions with the highest resources to invest in their student-athletes should be required to do two things:

Within the framework of Title IX, invest at least $30,000 per year into an enhanced educational trust fund for at least half of the institution’s eligible student-athletes.
Commit to work with their peer institutions in this subdivision to create rules that may differ from the rules in place for the rest of Division I. Those rules could include a wide range of policies, such as scholarship commitment and roster size, recruitment, transfers or NIL.
I look forward to hearing from members and student-athletes as we move ahead. But moving ahead in this direction has several benefits:

First, it significantly enhances the NCAA’s ability to provide world-class educational and athletics experiences to the most elite student-athletes.
Second, it enables the continued investment in women’s sports and women student-athletes at a level that compares with future investments in men’s sports.
Third, it gives the educational institutions with the most visibility, the most financial resources and the biggest brands an opportunity to choose to operate with a different set of rules that more accurately reflect their scale and their operating model.
Fourth, it gives colleges and universities that are not sure about which direction they should move in an opportunity to do more for their student-athletes than they do now, without necessarily having to perform at the financial levels required to join the subdivision.
Fifth, it gives other schools in Division I the ability to do whatever might make sense for them and for their student-athletes within a more permissive, more supportive framework for student-athletes than the one they operate in now.
Sixth, it provides student-athletes in the most competitive and well-resourced part of Division I with significant educational benefits that they can use to launch themselves once they either graduate or reach the end of their athletics eligibility, and it does so in a way that respects and complies with the rules concerning gender equity.
Seventh, it gives the schools most impacted by collectives, the Transfer Portal and NIL the opportunity to create rules, programming and resources that are in the best interests of the vast majority of their student-athletes, instead of just a few.
Eighth, it maintains the existing NCAA national championship model across all existing Division I sports, except FBS football, which continues to operate under the rubric of the College Football Playoff.
Ninth, it provides an operating model the NCAA and its member institutions can incorporate into ongoing discussions with Congress about the future of college athletics.
Finally, it kick-starts a long-overdue conversation among the membership that focuses on the differences that exist between schools, conferences and divisions and how to create more permissive and flexible rules across the NCAA that put student-athletes first. Colleges and universities need to be more flexible, and the NCAA needs to be more flexible, too.
It also gives the NCAA a chance to propose a better way to support student-athletes at the highest revenue schools by providing significant financial support to student-athletes in revenue positive and nonrevenue sports alike.

We look forward to continuing this conversation. If you have feedback on this proposal, please email projectd1@ncaa.org or provide comments here: Project D1 Feedback.

This email was sent to Division I Board of Directors, Council, Competition Oversight Committee, Football Bowl Subdivision Oversight
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

"Starting next year, all Division I schools will be required to guarantee the scholarships they offer to student-athletes, whether they play their sport or not."

This seems like a Wile E. Coyote DESTRUCT button for non-revenue, low/zero-professional prospect sports. Did I mention that 5 am wakeup call?

On the flip side, suddenly that fall of HS senior year erg score is the hot ticket to easy street!

C2 validation coders gonna be working overtime.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

I wonder if that covers athletes on 1 year deals or only those on 4 year deals. Ivy League looking more and more appealing...
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Slim wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:44 pm I wonder if that covers athletes on 1 year deals or only those on 4 year deals. Ivy League looking more and more appealing...
Really? I thought the BDS degree was on the downswing.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

This revolves around football and NIL money.

How many programs will face cuts?

What will happen to the Olympic sports

The Ivy League and the service academies will see the benefit
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

lt.wolf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:41 pm This revolves around football and NIL money.

How many programs will face cuts?

What will happen to the Olympic sports

The Ivy League and the service academies will see the benefit
There are two main elements here:

1. NCAA admitting it has lost control and legal footing, and cannot stop the money. They are sending this proposal to members, but backchannel asking Congress to intervene.

2. NCAA acknowledging that its members must adhere to Title IX while bathing in the aforementioned money. So if the money flows, it must flow to men and women, as much as those categories can be defined without inciting a riot at schools with higher percentages of Birkenstocks and bullhorns.

No, I think you're far more likely to see the NCAA throttle/oversee the "financial aid" shell game being played by the Ivies.

Yes, Olympic sports are indeed on the chopping block. Including at the Olympics themselves. Nothing new there. E-sports are looming!!! Joe Rogan to host the broadcast in 2036!! Maybe not, but one can dream.
Almostflipped
Old timer

Post by Almostflipped »

So at what point do we admit there is nothing amateur or academic about this mission and start taxing the athletic departments as pro-sports?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

This proposal toes the line just short of athletes being employees. Actual employment would open up some really interesting tax liabilities for the athletes.
SQUAREdown
Varsity

Post by SQUAREdown »

College football and basketball will become contract based work for universities. Move them out of the athletic department and give them their own front office that reports to the board/president. Players won’t be students, but rather those not yet good enough/ready for pro sports. Basically, a Saturday football league and a g league that represents schools.

Title ix concerns for football go away. Non traditional sports at most schools are axed including women’s rowing. The Ivy League survives, UW survives, with a smattering of a few with strong alum bases survive such as Virginia. The majority of d1 washes out with no legal standards to meet. ACRA becomes the place to be at the end of the year, maybe Dad Vail.

Sorry to say, reality is setting in. Time for college rowing coaches to start planning their next career!
Step Up
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

You're missing the kindling for the forest for the trees.

Sports? WTF cares?

Congress will be aiming at institutional endowments. Clever dinosaurs....