Wasted Women's D1 Rowing Programs

Prettyinfiveseat
Pre-Elite

Re: Wasted Women's D1 Rowing Programs

Post by Prettyinfiveseat »

socalstroke wrote:
Prettyinfiveseat wrote:Did Old Dominion University drop the varsity rowing program and make it a club? Just saw them listed as a club in the HOC.

nope. if you're stepping down a level, club8 may be the more competitive event.
Thanks I was confused I know some schools
Step down to the club 8 but they have club next to their entry so I wasn't sure if they became a club.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Prettyinfiveseat wrote:
socalstroke wrote:
Prettyinfiveseat wrote:Did Old Dominion University drop the varsity rowing program and make it a club? Just saw them listed as a club in the HOC.

nope. if you're stepping down a level, club8 may be the more competitive event.
Thanks I was confused I know some schools
Step down to the club 8 but they have club next to their entry so I wasn't sure if they became a club.

i think it's just an error? if you look through the other club events you'll see a couple of them (brown). I also wonder every year why some of the colleges in the champ events don't apply for the college championship medal at registration?
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

Club entries are usually 2V/frosh boats. A D1 program that doesn't have talent or speed is usually right at home until they surprise themselves with a high enough finish that forces those athletes into the champ 8... and then they DFL the champ 8 for two years until their talent pool resets and the club event is fair game for a "pat on the back from the AD finish".
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

It's not that ODU is in the Club 8, it's that they are listed as competing as a Club, as in Riverside BC, Union BC and others
Must be a db typo
Prettyinfiveseat
Pre-Elite

Post by Prettyinfiveseat »

oldman wrote:It's not that ODU is in the Club 8, it's that they are listed as competing as a Club, as in Riverside BC, Union BC and others
Must be a db typo
That's what saw also and just though maybe they became a club probably a typo or coach error at registration. Has happened in the past with inexperienced coaches.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Slim wrote: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am I think I would prioritize Scholarships > Equipment > Boathouse if I was dealing with limited resources - anyone disagree?

Assumption being that you have ok equipment, and some sort of a place to keep your equipment out of the elements.
This is an interesting question. Will recruits offered scholarships pick a program with a shed for a boathouse? If they are good they are likely also getting offered a scholarship to a program with a nice boathouse.

Alabama was really slow until it got its boathouse. UNC, USC, UCLA, and others rowing out of sheds seem to be perpetually slow or at best bubble teams.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

crewu wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:26 am
Slim wrote: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am I think I would prioritize Scholarships > Equipment > Boathouse if I was dealing with limited resources - anyone disagree?

Assumption being that you have ok equipment, and some sort of a place to keep your equipment out of the elements.
This is an interesting question. Will recruits offered scholarships pick a program with a shed for a boathouse? If they are good they are likely also getting offered a scholarship to a program with a nice boathouse.

Alabama was really slow until it got its boathouse. UNC, USC, UCLA, and others rowing out of sheds seem to be perpetually slow or at best bubble teams.
You're right it's likely more nuanced. Alabama is not particularly attractive to athletes who are rowing in high school in the US, whereas UNC, USC, and UCLA likely are (good academics, nice climates, fun environments). My point was really around where to start; of course you need more to get to be a top 20 team, but that is a lengthy process unless you get hired into a program that has been massively underperforming.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I guess to get to the top you need it all.

But you don't even get started unless you have the scholarships - or at least admin spots if you are a highly desired academic institution.
Faster-n-faster
Pre-Elite

Post by Faster-n-faster »

crewu wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:26 am This is an interesting question. Will recruits offered scholarships pick a program with a shed for a boathouse?
crewu wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:50 am I guess to get to the top you need it all.

The Cal women would like a word..