Keep Juicing the Youth Rowers - and the Race Venues.

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

rowing
Old timer

Re: Keep Juicing the Youth Rowers - and the Race Venues.

Post by rowing »

crewu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm
fullmetal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:40 pm Agreed, but:

1. Need a venue/LOC to bid for the regatta.
2. Need staff/officials to work yet another regatta in close proximity to Youth Natls.
3. Need to establish demand. My guess is that USRowing has feedback from clubs that lead them to believe that U15/17 natls wouldn't get a lot of attendance outside of wherever locality it was held.
1. Same LOC would work. Monday-Wednesday U14, U15, U16 events, THURSDAY is a day off/Practice day, FRI-SUN is for U17 & U19 events. NO ONE is driving full trailers to youth nationals so this is not an issue.
2. It is a longer week for the LOC sure. But there's will be a lot more revenue coming in too.
3. I would argue, this is how you establish demand. They only tried it once (I think) and for its first year demand was pretty good and only going to get better.

1. All LOCs but one just left the bidding process. No return or volunteer interest on that kind of extended madness. Even Canadian Henley is neutered these days. The glory days are over, man, and there's no renaissance coming.
2. A day is a day, packed schedule or not. Light day? F-ck off, pay for the day anyway. Insurance don't care.....f-ck you, pay us. EMS don't care....f-ck you, pay us. Hotels might win. Great use of a club's limited funds!!!
3. The current schedule (and the current location) is the only workable solution. That's why you have it, and that's why it has almost maxxed out. Any push beyond that is a lower return.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

rowing wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 pm
1. All LOCs but one just left the bidding process. No return or volunteer interest on that kind of extended madness. Even Canadian Henley is neutered these days. The glory days are over, man, and there's no renaissance coming.
2. A day is a day, packed schedule or not. Light day? F-ck off, pay for the day anyway. Insurance don't care.....f-ck you, pay us. EMS don't care....f-ck you, pay us. Hotels might win. Great use of a club's limited funds!!!
3. The current schedule (and the current location) is the only workable solution. That's why you have it, and that's why it has almost maxxed out. Any push beyond that is a lower return.
1. All other LOCs were simply ignored by USRowing. There has been no bidding process.
2. Who said anything about a light day? The "day off" is already incorporated into youth nationals as an arrival/practice day. Insurance/volunteers are paid for.
rowing wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 pm 3. The current schedule (and the current location) is the only workable solution. That's why you have it.
LOL, possibly the worst logic I have ever read on these boards.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Maybe this summer's RowFest is a sneaky attempt to test your unicorn-pooping-a-skittles-rainbow expectations?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

It is getting harder to figure out which event is the true national championship these days.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

crewu wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:30 pm It is getting harder to figure out which event is the true national championship these days.
Maximizes the number of crew moms buying a regatta shirt.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

“Monday-Wednesday U14, U15, U16 events, THURSDAY is a day off/Practice day, FRI-SUN is for U17 & U19 events. “

Being at a regatta for that extended period is quite lengthy and expensive as well as exhausting , and smaller regattas may suffer
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Only the trailer driver would need to be there all week. I don't think he or she would mind a week in Sarasota.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I see a trailer driver jamming keys up your arse.

Then the toolbox.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

The logistics of a 7 day event on junior programs would be wild. Maybe the absolute biggest mega clubs have the personnel, but to manage what's functionally 2 separate regattas in 1 week in terms of athletes, hotels, equipment, trailers, coaches, etc would be insane.

I drive our trailer, and I think Sarasota for a week in June doesn't sound like a good time.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Same LOC wouldn't be easy. It's hard to find volunteer bodies for so many days in a row. It's already hard to find stakeboat holders for existing length regattas. They were hiring non-rower high school kids at Harsha for probably less than minimum wage. Add more days to the regatta, and I think you're going to see more of the same, if there's even enough funding for that.
crewu wrote:1. All other LOCs were simply ignored by USRowing. There has been no bidding process.
As for all other LOCs being ignored, if that's true, that is a very interesting data point.
rowing wrote:3. The current schedule (and the current location) is the only workable solution. That's why you have it.
A rare moment where rowing acknowledges that USRowing does something that works lol. And I agree as well.