Henley Royal Regatta rule change

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

fatsculler
Old timer

Re: Henley Royal Regatta rule change

Post by fatsculler »

Portside wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:02 pm Can’t help but notice that the US Junior men are eliminated by Friday night, while US junior women fill three of the four Semifinal spots. Where are the British juniors ?
sculling
The older I get, the better I was
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Interesting to see Melbourne University Boat Club actively recruiting juniors to race in the Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip. Melbourne is an “open” club (which just happens to be called a “University Boat Club”) but even so it’s going to feel odd see junior events with a “University” competing
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1940.jpeg (953.49 KiB) Viewed 688 times
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

ISTR Sydney University entering a (winning?) freshers crew in the Fawley about 15 years ago. It was completely valid due to the Aus academic year starting 6 months earlier than the UK, meaning Aus uni freshers can fall inside the junior birthday cutoff date.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

KitD wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am ISTR Sydney University entering a (winning?) freshers crew in the Fawley about 15 years ago. It was completely valid due to the Aus academic year starting 6 months earlier than the UK, meaning Aus uni freshers can fall inside the junior birthday cutoff date.
2011 - but they raced as Sydney Rowing Club (beat Walton by 4 lengths in the final)
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Looks like Bobby Thatcher at St Paul’s has another outstanding crew on his hands. Not only did they win the Schools Head of the River earlier this week, they then raced at the 8’s Head at the weekend finishing 11th overall, the best result by a junior crew since 1974. Their time also placed them as the 2nd fastest academic crew, beating all university varsity boats with the exception of Brookes. Time will tell if they can come close to the performance of the 2018 St Paul’s boat.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

fatsculler wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 am Looks like Bobby Thatcher at St Paul’s has another outstanding crew on his hands. Not only did they win the Schools Head of the River earlier this week, they then raced at the 8’s Head at the weekend finishing 11th overall, the best result by a junior crew since 1974. Their time also placed them as the 2nd fastest academic crew, beating all university varsity boats with the exception of Brookes. Time will tell if they can come close to the performance of the 2018 St Paul’s boat.
Thatcher said they are stronger than the 2018 crew. Going to be fun to watch this season.

Livestream also continue to be decent for a head race.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

I'd find it hard to believe they row better than 2018, but you drop in a sub 6 kid and that's some insane juice. If they're even remotely close to 2018 speed, the fun part will be it could be a pretty endless debate. Hard to compare a bunch of "they won by 5 lengths."

My favorite part of the 2018 story was the lead up to Henley where we just got rumors and stories about them lining up with collegiate crews for practices pieces and stuff. Even if some of the stories were half true, the myth making part of it is legitimately fun IMO. Unanswerable debates are the most fun debates.

Obviously they gotta go out and do the thing. If it comes down to I, I hope they have the same HRR conditions that's for sure.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

FullSend wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:57 pm I'd find it hard to believe they row better than 2018, but you drop in a sub 6 kid and that's some insane juice. If they're even remotely close to 2018 speed, the fun part will be it could be a pretty endless debate. Hard to compare a bunch of "they won by 5 lengths."

My favorite part of the 2018 story was the lead up to Henley where we just got rumors and stories about them lining up with collegiate crews for practices pieces and stuff. Even if some of the stories were half true, the myth making part of it is legitimately fun IMO. Unanswerable debates are the most fun debates.

Obviously they gotta go out and do the thing. If it comes down to I, I hope they have the same HRR conditions that's for sure.
Reminds me of a story from the mid-1980's when Steve Gunn had a truly outstanding Hampton School 8 (which included the Searle brothers), The story goes that they approached Oxford to do some pieces together, they were offered some time with the Isis crew, but Gunn said he wanted to go up against the Blue Boat :)

If this year's St Paul's crew does prove to be faster than the 2018 version then they could be very special. I remember watch St Paul's race at Marlow regatta at Dorney where they finished 2nd to Leander, their time of 5:36.59 was, at the time, only half a second off the U19 World's Best Time