Mary Whipple web site

You must be _____ this short to enter.

Moderator: bendtheoar

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Mary Whipple web site

Post by lt.wolf »

Hey all Mary has a web site coming out to give a hand to coxswains etc. Once she is ready to launch I will post the links for you. From what I hear is will be called The 9th Seat.

I promised her I would post her Speed 5 in the boards section so here it is again and enjoy. ( there you go MWHIP )

Speed 5 with Mary Whipple
Wolf - So Mary you have two medals from the Olympics (one gold and one silver ) so what lies on the horizon for you now, do you want to drive the ride again in 2012?

MW- In a perfect world I would keep coxing for forever. I do feel like 2012 is in my future, but I definitely have some things to cross off my ‘to-do’ list beforehand. I just got accepted into the UW’s Grad program, Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership. It’s a yearlong masters degree and it starts this June. So I’m taking the summer off.

Wolf-You and Marcus had a great podcast on line last year (I recommend it to all coxies to get it on i-tunes) – what happened to it? Are you going to do it again?

MW-We had a Podcast on RowCoachMedia.com called Shooting it Straight. We had some podcasts in the works, had training camps in different locations so it made it hard to create them. When we came back to Princeton the Olympic run up was in full swing and that consumed us. I’m working on my own coxswain website called, The 9th Seat. It’s in the process of being designed and I’m pretty excited about developing it. I’m looking forward to taking on coxswain students and mentoring them and being a real resource. I’m trying to give a new perspective on coxing, my perspective. I’m also putting on coxswain clinics on the West coast, one in Seattle, Portland and Berkeley. I’m planning on one in San Diego too but not sure when. All the registration is happening through regattacentral.com and they’re happening in February.

Wolf-Now when I was a coxswain (imagine 6 foot 1 all crammed into the seat) I found the seat unbearable at times, how would you like to see the coxie seat pimped out?

MW- My seat in our Empacher is pretty sweet. I would like to be able to have timing buttons built into the toggles so that I don’t have to take my hands off of the rudder to hit splits, but that is me just being picky.

Wolf-Now when I weighed in back in my day as I coxswain I could “intimidate” the other coxies with my height etc…..I was wondering if the elite coxswains at the Olympics tried to intimidate each other with a little swagger in their walks or something.

MW-I made sure to be nice to all of the coxswains. It would be funny because I would try to make eye contact with them and give them a smile and say hi. Very rarely would that happen, too many of the other coxswains took themselves too serious. I did catch the eye of the Romanian coxswain once and gave her a little smile; I was shocked that she smiled back.

Wolf- Everyone has a favorite drill – what is the drill you hate to call.

MW - Pause drills get a little repetitive, but I don’t think there is a drill that I hate to call. I mean, that is my job to make transitions and make sure drills are being executed correctly. However, I do hate it when Rusty’s are called Cut the Cake.

Extra One. Wolf- Are there any young coxies out there that you could see coming to fill your spot when you step down?

MW- I do have a special spot for UW coxswains. My vote is for them. Go Dawgs.