How to Get your Frosh/Nov Coxswains up to speed

You must be _____ this short to enter.

Moderator: bendtheoar

daphillyboul9
Novice

How to Get your Frosh/Nov Coxswains up to speed

Post by daphillyboul9 »

I have been coaching freshamn/novice rowing for a few years now and I figured I would lend out some advice so that your coxswains will pick up on terminology, traffic patterns, voice, steering and commands by the time your first race comes around.
The first piece of advice I will give is that you must let your coxswains take control of the room. As a coach you should be but a figurehead. The team should literally be able to "run itself" within a few weeks of practicing.
Give your coxswains responsibilities-real ones too! And when they fail, critique them but let them know they are still in charge (and should therefore be sure of themselves)
Quiz your coxswains! Give them an oral test of terminologies, or what to do in certain situations. They should know what a boat looks like and how to operate it before they even see the water.
Finally, when you are on the water, let your coxswains run a few drills...they need to be in charge because as the coach you are not there to hold their hand in races. Make sure they know when they are wrong as well. The team will literally run itself
"If there is one thing I have learned in my years of rowing it is that in order for the entire team to succeed, the individual parts must share a common goal, because any accomplishments are shared as a team, any losses are felt by the team."
olympicpuddles
Varsity

Re: How to Get your Frosh/Nov Coxswains up to speed

Post by olympicpuddles »

Unless it is a serious safety violation, make sure the "instructional" part or reprimand of a coxswain is removed from the rowers. Belittle your cox in front of his/her crew enough and the team will never believe in them. Whether or not they are competent, worse case scenario is a boat full of people who think the cox has no idea what they are doing.
skinny
JV

Post by skinny »

olympicpuddles wrote:Unless it is a serious safety violation, make sure the "instructional" part or reprimand of a coxswain is removed from the rowers. Belittle your cox in front of his/her crew enough and the team will never believe in them. Whether or not they are competent, worse case scenario is a boat full of people who think the cox has no idea what they are doing.
I disagree. First off "belittling" should never be part of the "instructional part" (I know that's not likely what you meant, but still...). Instructing someone means telling them what they did wrong, why it's a problem or what problems it causes, and giving them some guidance on how to fix it.

Secondly, if you swing too far the other way and never coach the coxswain in front of the rowers, the rowers might start to believe that you favour the coxswain and resent the cox for that reason instead. The coxswain is as important a member in the crew as any other (in some cases more so) and must be coached as such.

Lastly, if you wait too long to take advantage of the teachable moments, they might fade in the coxswain's memory before they can learn from them.
2CiiX21
Old timer

Post by 2CiiX21 »

skinny wrote:
olympicpuddles wrote:Unless it is a serious safety violation, make sure the "instructional" part or reprimand of a coxswain is removed from the rowers. Belittle your cox in front of his/her crew enough and the team will never believe in them. Whether or not they are competent, worse case scenario is a boat full of people who think the cox has no idea what they are doing.
I disagree. First off "belittling" should never be part of the "instructional part" (I know that's not likely what you meant, but still...). Instructing someone means telling them what they did wrong, why it's a problem or what problems it causes, and giving them some guidance on how to fix it.

Secondly, if you swing too far the other way and never coach the coxswain in front of the rowers, the rowers might start to believe that you favour the coxswain and resent the cox for that reason instead. The coxswain is as important a member in the crew as any other (in some cases more so) and must be coached as such.

Lastly, if you wait too long to take advantage of the teachable moments, they might fade in the coxswain's memory before they can learn from them.
The coxswain is an extension of the coach, not just "one of the guys". I would agree with olympicpuddles that unless it's a safety violation or minor correction, it's better to leave it until you're on land and can talk in private. This really hammers the point home that they are in charge of the crew on the water.
cox'n
Varsity

Post by cox'n »

A coxswain needs immediate feedback just as a rower does. For instance, none of us would consider waiting until we were off the water to tell a rower he was lunging at the catch during a piece {"Hey Bill, remember that third five minute piece? Well, you weren't getting your body out of bow, so you were lunging- especially as you got tired. Now think about how that lunging felt and fix it tomorrow."}. The rower probably wouldn't remember. Besides, what's the point if he doesn't have a chance to correct it or at least figure out what you mean. It's largely the same with coxswains. They need some immediate feedback if they're doing something wrong. Yes, they way you word it is extremely important, but the correction should take place on the water so the coxie has a chance to make a correction and to practice doing it right.

I'll let you all in on my big secret to success in coxing coxswains while having crews remain supportive of them. [In almost thirty years as a cox and/or coach I'm the only one I've heard say this.] It's the coxswain's practice too! In other words, the cox need to relax and try to get better without worrying about making mistakes while the rowers need to realise that he is at practice to learn to be a better cox just as they are there to become better rowers. While of course the rowers know it's the coxswains practice, saying it out loud to a crew (especially when the coxie is trying to figure out something new) makes them all appreciate a coxie who is making an effort to get better at each practice. [an obvious example of what I mean is when novice coxswains have learned to steer and are now beginning to try to stay next to each other. If coxswains are encouraged to practice at practice then they'll probably end up clashing oars a bit, veering wildly as they get too close then turn away, and having theirs crew weigh enough occasionally in order to separate the boats. However, after a couple practices they'll do it right and it'll sure be better for everyone rather than having coxswains who are afraid to come within fifty feet of each other)
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

cox'n wrote:A coxswain needs immediate feedback just as a rower does. For instance, none of us would consider waiting until we were off the water to tell a rower he was lunging at the catch during a piece {"Hey Bill, remember that third five minute piece? Well, you weren't getting your body out of bow, so you were lunging- especially as you got tired. Now think about how that lunging felt and fix it tomorrow."}. The rower probably wouldn't remember. Besides, what's the point if he doesn't have a chance to correct it or at least figure out what you mean. It's largely the same with coxswains. They need some immediate feedback if they're doing something wrong. Yes, they way you word it is extremely important, but the correction should take place on the water so the coxie has a chance to make a correction and to practice doing it right.
I beg to differ. A lot of things a coach won't necessarily notice will come from the rowers, and having rowers give feedback during a piece or immediately after a piece leaves a lot of room for frustration or anger to be released in the direction of the coxswain. Video + calm feedback about the entirety of a practice works better - "you need to stick your course better, it needs to be like a line" sounds a lot more positive than "you f***ing c*** you can't f***ing steer like that during a race". Mixing video of a practice with the memory of the rowers definitely can produce some effective feedback, especially if you've asked the rowers to remember what they liked or disliked about how the coxwain behaved.

If a coach is so fixated on the course/commands of a coxswain, his rowers either need a better coxswain or he's spending his time in the wrong area. Rowers can get a boat down a course with or without the help of Napoleon in the bow/stern.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

What most people are saying is exactly correct; the coxswain is an extension of the coach, like the captain of the battleship is to the admiral of the fleet. I also believe most correction of the cox'n needs to be done off the water. But there is a time to correct the coxswain in front of the rowers, but NEVER undermine their authority. It's a tough enough job without them having to fight that uphill battle. But CiiX2 is right in that the rowers can benefit from seeing the cox'n recieving instruction.

All that said, the individual duties of coxswain are not that hard. To oversimplfy things, I teach that the rowers have to do one very difficult thing at a time, while the coxwains have to do 10,000 easy things all at once. All of them suffer from sensory overload at times, but coxswains suffer it constantly, and the coach has to be mindful of that. If the coxswain learns a daily routine, and is informed of what o expect in each outing, it reduces stress and overload.I know one top college coach who scripts out the workout and leaves all the running of the workout to the coxswains.

Information is power to the coxswain, and obtaining it is on both the cox'n and coach.

Unless you have a rare coxswain, alpha-dogging, bullying or verbal abuse by the rowers can be a big problem. It's self destructive, and the boat-captains have to put a stop to it. I have a rule that I tell the coxswains: If you're fed up with the abuse, let me know you're going in, get out of the boat at the dock and walk away. I then come to the dock and ask the crew: "Now WTF are you going to do without a coxswain?" It's happened twice in 25 years and worked like a charm. The coxwain came back the next day and it was never mentioned. No more problem.

Lastly, some coxwains are just not leaders. Some try and are bossy. Others are fearful. Great coxswains are born as well as made. So are really poor coxswains. Sometimes it's just necessary to get someone else.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

(this may get lengthy, and it’s a bit self indulgent, so skip it if you like. It’s a true story, though)

The best lesson I was ever given on the dynamics of coxing came years ago from Bill Sanford who was leading the USRA Coaching College. Out of thirty people attending, perhaps eight were cox’ns. After 3 days of intensive lectures and discussions, there had not been a mention of coxing. With about 30 minutes left before we called it quits and headed for the airport, Sanford asked if there was a topic anyone wanted to discuss.

One of the coxswains indignantly mentioned the lack of instruction about coxing, and could we at least use these few minutes to talk about it. Sanford dismissively replied: “Well, what do you want to know?” The antagonism factor in the room went up a couple notches.

“Well coaches ignore us. I wish they wouldn’t do that”

Sanford kinda shrugged and said nothing and all the disgruntled coxswains sat forward in their chairs and started taking him to task on how coaches ignore them, yell at them , don’t give them instructions, don’t tell them what they want done, and, well, you know the drill.

It escalated and even the meekest coxswains began complaining about coaches. The North Carolina coach, Reckford, and I sort of slumped down in our chairs – it was getting ugly. Meanwhile Sanford didn’t say much except to provoke them a little. This went on for what seemed like 10 minutes and had gotten really uncomfortable. The coxswains were MAD!

Finally Sanford put his hand up and the room got quiet. In a booming voice, he said something like this: “You &^@# coxswains, what the *&^%# is wrong with you? Can’t you think for yourselves? Do we have to hold your *&^%# hands? Don’t you have any &^@# initiative? Can’t you learn anything on your own?“

Now it was bad. Really bad.

The ringleader coxswain got up and started pointing his finger at Sanford and a couple other coaches saying how coxswains contribute and work hard and how they were as tough as rowers and to shut the *&^# -Up. We ex-rower type coaches were hunkered down in amazement as Sanford had seemingly lost control of the room to this mob of barking spaniels.

Then, during a bit of air in the shouting, Sanford pointed at the pissed off, pushy, indignant coxswains and said: ”That’s how coxswains are supposed to act! Now you’re being coxswains!” The room fell silent until some of us coaches started to titter in relief. Sanford asked if there were any more questions. There weren’t and we ended the college a few minutes early. You had to be there to believe it.

I never pull this sort of thing, and I do not recommend it, but I do tell each of my coxswains that if they cannot get in the right frame of mind for practice, they might try slamming their finger in the car door on the way.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
cox'n
Varsity

Post by cox'n »

bloomp wrote:
cox'n wrote:A coxswain needs immediate feedback just as a rower does. For instance, none of us would consider waiting until we were off the water to tell a rower he was lunging at the catch during a piece {"Hey Bill, remember that third five minute piece? Well, you weren't getting your body out of bow, so you were lunging- especially as you got tired. Now think about how that lunging felt and fix it tomorrow."}. The rower probably wouldn't remember. Besides, what's the point if he doesn't have a chance to correct it or at least figure out what you mean. It's largely the same with coxswains. They need some immediate feedback if they're doing something wrong. Yes, they way you word it is extremely important, but the correction should take place on the water so the coxie has a chance to make a correction and to practice doing it right.
I beg to differ. A lot of things a coach won't necessarily notice will come from the rowers, and having rowers give feedback during a piece or immediately after a piece leaves a lot of room for frustration or anger to be released in the direction of the coxswain. Video + calm feedback about the entirety of a practice works better - "you need to stick your course better, it needs to be like a line" sounds a lot more positive than "you f***ing c*** you can't f***ing steer like that during a race". Mixing video of a practice with the memory of the rowers definitely can produce some effective feedback, especially if you've asked the rowers to remember what they liked or disliked about how the coxwain behaved.

If a coach is so fixated on the course/commands of a coxswain, his rowers either need a better coxswain or he's spending his time in the wrong area. Rowers can get a boat down a course with or without the help of Napoleon in the bow/stern.
I was referring to immediate feedback from the coach, not from the rowers! Also, this thread is "How to Get your Frosh/Nov Coxswains up to speed." Beginners do need coaching. Coaching in the present especially at a "teachable moment" is incredibly more effective with a beginner and can eliminate bad habits quicker than waiting until after practice when the bad habit has already started to become ingrained. With a varsity or even second semester cox coaching can be more subtle. Believe me, as a former (sometimes current) cox I'm extremely careful about the way I word my instruction to coxies in front of rowers. Also, my rowers do not use foul language towards other team members as they don't want to watch their next race from the shore.