NK Speed Coach GPS?

1xsculler
Old timer

NK Speed Coach GPS?

Post by 1xsculler »

NE body using the new Speed Coach GPS? How do you like it? Does it blend the splits for a smooth read out as well as a regular Speed Coach does?
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Re: NK Speed Coach GPS?

Post by mightyquinn »

1xsculler wrote:NE body using the new Speed Coach GPS? How do you like it? Does it blend the splits for a smooth read out as well as a regular Speed Coach does?
Not sure whether the blending is any better or worse. You can adjust the smoothing factor in the GPS unit by choosing the # of prior strokes it uses to calculate your pace at any time. In simultaneous use of a Speed Coach GPS (using GPS) and a Speed Coach XL (using impeller), I notice that the 2 units would often disagree about my pace at any particular moment, though not with much apparent consistency, and it would even out over the course of a piece. This observation applies primarily to rowing at low rating, steady state pace.

My primary reason for ordering the GPS was to get accurate calibration for training, racing etc. I used the GPS in my head races this fall and was happy with its performance. The GPS's display is easier to read than my XL. Better back-lighting and contrast. I miss the HR monitor function and time of day display a lot, though. I also miss having the PC interface. It's easy to switch between GPS-based pace and impeller-based.

I may doing one of my 1x rows of the season tomorrow AM. Let me know if you want me to run some sort of comparison test between the two units for you.
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

I can't think of any specific comparison test. I am just curious how scullers like the GPS. I really like the heart rate readout on my XL2 also and if I switched to the GPS I'd have to buy a heart rate monitor and set it up so it would be easy to read while rowing.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

One disadvantage I see is battery charging. I charge my XL2 once per month and it looks like the GPS might require much more frequent charging. 72 hrs. vs. 5 to 8 hrs. battery life.

The only advantage of an NK GPS is that you don't have an impeller hanging off the bottom of your boat, isn't it? I can't see any other advantage. That problem can be mostly solved by installing the impeller in the trailing edge of the skeg.