Fat2

Moderator: lt.wolf

ieatergsforbreakfast
Veteran

Re: Fat2

Post by ieatergsforbreakfast »

SwissSculler, you are based in Philly? Where do you row out of?
Fear is only a four letter word.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Swiss used to row out of here....
...but has since moved on to Virginia!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

it was much better for his figure!
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

hahaha, that's funny. Well, there are some excellent places here as well. Being snowed in over Christmas didn't help but I am under 100kg again... Don't worry Frisky, I'll pull your a$$ down the river again...
"Speed Matters"
frisky

Post by frisky »

SwissSculler wrote:... 100kg again... Don't worry Frisky, I'll pull your a$$ down the river again...
Well, I am not so concerned about going down the river. I am more concerned about the going up the river part...
FLorange
Varsity

Post by FLorange »

Back to the topic at hand, I wanted to know the "closest approximation" for similarly rigging Crokers vs the Fat2s. I've read the C2 website and spoken with them, but what do those who regularly row have to say? I have used Crokers and quite like their catches but have not had the pleasure of Fat2s yet.
The Stig
Elite

Post by The Stig »

x
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some say that he once pulled a 5:56 2k arms and back only, and that his erg does float. All we know is that he's called The Stig.
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

FLorange wrote:Back to the topic at hand, I wanted to know the "closest approximation" for similarly rigging Crokers vs the Fat2s. I've read the C2 website and spoken with them, but what do those who regularly row have to say? I have used Crokers and quite like their catches but have not had the pleasure of Fat2s yet.

Based on the feedback I have received, there is no closest approximation, due to the different spreads required. Row and rig the Fat2 as recommended. Row and rig the Croker as recommended. Those who tried to meet "in the middle" have generally found less effective zones for each. Unfortunately that means you'll probably need to do twice as much as experimentation, one batch to find your optimal rig with the Fat2s and one batch to find your optimal rig with Crokers.

We need someone to invent quick-release pins!
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

I just got a set of slightly used Crokers and experimenting will begin as soon as the ice is gone. My assumption is that based on the relatively large blade surface of the Crokers I'll be able to row them short with narrow spans and short inboards, in essence getting a similar arc and through the pin set up I find with the Fats. I never ruled that out and now I can test and play all I want. Go away ice, go!!!!
"Speed Matters"
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

Just remember....finding common ground between the two is not the same as finding the optimal ground for each.
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

think outside the box, Greg, doing what has been done and tried won't cut it. I realized that again when watching Beijing Repechages and how poorly the US eight was trimmed. Not sure how much time they lost but must have been several seconds I bet. And all that needed to be done is move the riggers two holes to the bow. There you go, gotta keep digging for extra speed.

If I find anything, you'll be the first one to know. After Dad Vails, of course :D
"Speed Matters"
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

SwissSculler wrote:think outside the box, Greg, doing what has been done and tried won't cut it.
Don't presume you have "the secret" everyone else is too dumb to have never tried. If you did, you'd be the coach, and they would be posting here.
I realized that again when watching Beijing Repechages and how poorly the US eight was trimmed. Not sure how much time they lost but must have been several seconds I bet. And all that needed to be done is move the riggers two holes to the bow. There you go, gotta keep digging for extra speed.
Gee, what would the coaches and athletes do without you? Medal. (well....they did)
If I find anything, you'll be the first one to know. After Dad Vails, of course :D
Enjoy it. It may be the last one. The fast talkin' pols in Philadelphia haven't come up with dollar one yet, and they're already not returning phone calls. Tasty pick, gents! Would you file that under "doing what has been done and tried won't cut it" ???
FASTERthanYOU
Novice

Post by FASTERthanYOU »

SwissSculler wrote:I just got a set of slightly used Crokers and experimenting will begin as soon as the ice is gone. My assumption is that based on the relatively large blade surface of the Crokers I'll be able to row them short with narrow spans and short inboards, in essence getting a similar arc and through the pin set up I find with the Fats. I never ruled that out and now I can test and play all I want. Go away ice, go!!!!
the blade face on the smoothie2 is actually larger than the croker
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

For sculls, yes. Not for sweeps.

Croker
Full size sweep blade=1223 cm^2
Cut down sweep blade=1173 cm^2

C2 
Fat2 sweep blade=1212 cm^2
Smoothie2 sweep blade=1156 cm^2

Croker
Full size scull blade=807 cm^2
Cut down scull blade=775 cm^2

C2
Fat2 scull blade=857 cm^2
Smoothie2 scull blade=809 cm^2

Of course, this is just 2D measurement. You live and race in 3D. 4D if you count time!
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

Can someone please tell me that it is not true that Cambridge rowed with Fatties and these longer catch angles were a complete illusion since both crews are the same height... Doyle, please help me out here.
"Speed Matters"