Masters Natls

Moderator: lt.wolf

southernrower
Elite

Masters Natls

Post by southernrower »

WOW-
Cambridge has 40% more entries than anyone else for the Regatta. Did they threaten members with a special assessment if they did not go?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Masters Natls

Post by lt.wolf »

It is just in the backyard of Worcester. Easy to go and then come home every night.
boston_1x
Veteran

Post by boston_1x »

2000 entries, wow. Lots of heats/semis... hope the draws are friendly.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

Given the number of rowers and judging by the results of the Cambridge Invit'l, it looks like Cambridge is the odds on favorite for the points champ...grrr
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Post by mightyquinn »

What's the deal with Mixed 2X events at Masters Nationals? The 2 most populated events in the whole regatta are the Mixed D 2X and the Mixed C 2X. In the Mixed D 2X, out of 26 entries, only 2 are couples who are obviously related (same last name). I guess clubs are very social? I am married, but an unaffiliated single when it comes to sculling. Tough to imagine training with my wife (especially since she doesn't row) or with anyone else's. Having said that, we are neighbors with a couple whose fairer member is a former Hungarian National Team Sculler, so maybe I should consider it.
Scott @ Noble Hardware
Veteran

Post by Scott @ Noble Hardware »

I think you're overthinking this one, MQ. I've rowed many times in mixed boats, with probably a dozen different women. I'm married and most of them are too. I'm sure people occasionally take the relationship too far, but for me it's always been about a fun race. And the mixed races are usually pretty fun and competitive. So, yes, go hit up that Hungarian National-team neighbor!

FWIW, I've got one of my fliers being put in the regatta packet - watch for it! I'm curious about how many people will see it and then check out my website. Packets go out one-per-team, so hopefully the coaches will pass them around.
Scott Noble
www.noblehardware.com - Premium Rowing Gear
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Post by mightyquinn »

Scott @ Noble Hardware wrote:I think you're overthinking this one, MQ. I've rowed many times in mixed boats, with probably a dozen different women. I'm married and most of them are too. I'm sure people occasionally take the relationship too far, but for me it's always been about a fun race. And the mixed races are usually pretty fun and competitive. So, yes, go hit up that Hungarian National-team neighbor!

FWIW, I've got one of my fliers being put in the regatta packet - watch for it! I'm curious about how many people will see it and then check out my website. Packets go out one-per-team, so hopefully the coaches will pass them around.
Thanks, Scott. I'm new to the whole masters sprint regatta scene. It seems many have the admirable attitude/spirit that "as long as I'm going to be there, I might as well race as much as possible," hence the popularity of the team boats, including the Mixed 2Xs. The more I think about it, it would be fun to have my Hungarian friend pull me down the course! :lol: Her strength and prowess might be enough to overcome my mediocrity.

I'll look for your flier in the race packet. I'm rowing Unaffiliated, so no chance of a coach tossing it out.

MQ
stoneboat
Pre-Elite

Post by stoneboat »

southernrower wrote:WOW-
Cambridge has 40% more entries than anyone else for the Regatta......
Saugatuck... the gauntlet has been thrown down!

And event he rolodex crews don't stand a chance...
Am I right, Mssr. Wolf? :wink:
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Based on times there must be a pretty strong headwind in Worcester.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Winds come and go with the weather.

Right now storms are in the area along with a tornado watch
Tomorrow should be a good day and remember it is not about the time but finishing order.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

Some really fast boats out there. Even the Mens lwt B 1x was a screamer with an unexpectedly tight 1st to 2nd place. Nice to see the regatta so well attended. Many ex natl/oly rowers rowing down in age and putting in some fast races. A lot of fun. We "normal" masters are seeing some great rowing.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

Congrats to the LOC for a great regatta. Weather was a problem, but the rest was terrific. Running races off at 4 minute centers and on time all day long with two launching points was a real challenge, but they did it.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

It doesn't always pay to take it easy to save your legs for the final if you're not being pressed in your heat. The weather cancelled some finals late in the day on Friday so final placings were based on heat times. I'm not sure it changed placings but it easily could have. The guys in the Lwt G who placed first and second normally are only a second or two apart but because of the circumstances their final times were about twenty seconds apart. The final outcome could have been very different if the heat line-ups had been different.
Do competitors know in advance that heat times may be used to arrive at final placings?
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
abr
Pre-Elite

Post by abr »

JD wrote:Congrats to the LOC for a great regatta. Weather was a problem, but the rest was terrific. Running races off at 4 minute centers and on time all day long with two launching points was a real challenge, but they did it.
I totally agree. Also, I was was impressed by officials' ability to be firm but polite and informative when racing was suspended. That could not have been easy in the face of hundreds of grumpy and anxious masters rowers.

One criticism: If at all possible it would have been a good idea to have more volunteers in launches enforcing the traffic pattern in the warmup area between the I-290 bridge and the 1000m start line. I saw more than one scary near miss of boats doing racing starts in opposite directions. I didn't hear of any crashes, and I hope there weren't any.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

1xsculler wrote:Do competitors know in advance that heat times may be used to arrive at final placings?
I cannot testify for all instances but I am aware of a few instances where this happened.