Cox'ns as Valets

You must be _____ this short to enter.

Moderator: bendtheoar

JD
Old timer

Cox'ns as Valets

Post by JD »

I read with interest today's row2k "Rowing Hack" about using a waterbottle as a tool kit. That's fine idea, but the following statement got to me.
Of course, many coxswains out there are already humping eight water bottles to the dock for their rowers,
I don't get the idea that the coxswain acts as a footman for the rowers. I believe that's an indicator of the standing of the cox in the program. The coxswain is in charge of the boat and rowers and to tote the gear to and from the dock is assuming the rank of an underling. It's the job of the rowers to pick up and care for their own crap unless, of course, the rower is passed out on the dock. Once the workout begins, the coxswain must refrain from coddling the rowers. It's a matter of status.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
teo
Varsity

Re: Cox'ns as Valets

Post by teo »

kindly carrying my water bottle down to the dock does not inherently make someone my bitch. i don't expect a coxswain to retrieve my things for me, but if they have a spare hand why shouldn't i request he/she take an oversized nalgene that won't fit in a waistline so i can carry the boat properly? i have never thought little of a coxswain helping out a teammate, but i've certainly been irritated by an uppity "i'm above menial tasks" mentality.

coxswains should not hold an elevated status above rowers, period. both roles are vitally important to a boat's operation. rowers simply need to understand that the coxswain's role includes giving out commands to which rowers must heed. if oarsmen fail to comprehend the value the coxswain brings to the shell that's a failure of the rower's coach and/or upbringing. forcing them to lug their water around isn't going to change anything.
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

Okay.....8 rowers carrying their own water bottle and the boat on alternating shoulders.....

OVER THE HEADS and OOOPPSSS!!!!

Coxswain as water buffalo evolved from common sense and dockside efficiency.

Unless.....coxswain shines by having his crew look like monkeys trying to juggle bars of soap?

Interesting threshold for competency.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

What, rowers need a caddie? We can walk them down with the oars.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

From my days as a coxie , A rower once asked me to carry his water bottle. I carried it down to the water and tried to throw it across the Charles. It did not make it . :twisted:
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

JD wrote:What, rowers need a caddie? We can walk them down with the oars.
Have you ever seen sweepers try to arrange stuff on the dock?

Bottles are likely to get kicked over and rolling around.

Docks are tight spaces in many clubs. Coxswain logistical skills are valuable. On and off in less than 60 seconds should be the goal.
BowwwwBallll
Varsity

Post by BowwwwBallll »

Whether I carry your water bottle depends on a number of things.

2. Whether you ask me nicely.
3. Whether there is room in my magic lucky short-pants.
4. The mood in which I happen to be.

...anybody want to guess what factor #1 is?
Drive it like you stole it, baby. KATN.
Bigger than big. Stronger than strong.
cox'n
Varsity

Post by cox'n »

An easy and efficient solution is to use one of those $5.00 reusable grocery shopping bags. The coxie can put in his CoxBox and eight water bottles and still have one hand free (assuming he uses a fanny pack for his tools, etc.). What I like best about it is that we can wait until we're tying in on the water to distribute the bottles. Bowman just stuffs bag under his footstretchers. As we're waiting to dock we reverse the process and I have all the empty bottles in the bag before we're on land again.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

cox'n wrote:An easy and efficient solution is to use one of those $5.00 reusable grocery shopping bags. The coxie can put in his CoxBox and eight water bottles and still have one hand free (assuming he uses a fanny pack for his tools, etc.). What I like best about it is that we can wait until we're tying in on the water to distribute the bottles. Bowman just stuffs bag under his footstretchers. As we're waiting to dock we reverse the process and I have all the empty bottles in the bag before we're on land again.
Or the big lazy lugs can carry their own crap.
John Davis
LoreMaster1
Old timer

Post by LoreMaster1 »

In general, I see coxswains carrying water bottles as them being kind to the rowers instead of the rowers being jerks to the coxswains. I think you're seeing injustices that aren't there, JD.
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

JD wrote: Or the big lazy lugs can carry their own crap.
And if they are not off the dock in 60 seconds, scullers waiting to launch can kick all the crap into the water. DEAL!
cox'n
Varsity

Post by cox'n »

gdoyle, yes if the crews and coxies in front of you can't be civil and work together to promote launching and docking efficiency then you should be able to knock their stuff in the water. :wink:

A cox shouldn't be simply a valet, but if helping his crew gets them on and off the water faster giving them more practice time and making the crew a little faster, then why not do these things?
gdoyle
Old timer

Post by gdoyle »

Our sport has a tendency to address the hangnail......while the predator devours a limb.

Yummy strategy!
Coxswain3
JV

Post by Coxswain3 »

I do this at practice, however I do it as a kind gesture to help my teammates out, not because I have to. There are some days where I don't see them until we have hands on and I don't carry their water, so it's definitely not a duty that the coxswain serves.

Also, I typically have a free hand/most bottles are nalgenes or have something that can clip into a the carabiner that holds my multi-tool and coxbox to my drawstring coxswain bag while I'm on land.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

I caught a new coxswain running a water bottle back up the dock to fill it while his 8 sat there holding up traffic. He had been spraying the owner while launching. One more reason not to have them carry a rower's gear.
John Davis