Winter Training for Coxswains

You must be _____ this short to enter.

Moderator: bendtheoar

l33t_c0x
Novice

Winter Training for Coxswains

Post by l33t_c0x »

Just wanted to see if anyone has good advice on how to stay sharp as a coxswain through the winter. Although not all coxswains will be off the water this winter, the majority of them will at least see a reduction in water time. I have a few tricks of my own but it's always good to hear what other coxswains around the country are doing during our "off" season.
JFrancis
JV

Re: Winter Training for Coxswains

Post by JFrancis »

We have our coxswains run the winter training sessions.
AND
Varsity

Post by AND »

I have our coxswain relearn to row/erg, either they haven't, or its been a while. They also teach each other, and go over technique together. Then as the guys are erging they can either row along, or train their technical eye. That usually includes pointing something out to me, and suggesting how they would fix it. We discuss and I give them the go ahead.

I have them talk with me about it, before going to the rower. Not because I second guess or don't trust them, but because it makes them think it out thoroughly before they approach, and it always has a better result. They get better at seeing and talking about technique, and the rower gets the most concise and helpful input. As we get further through winter, and the pieces get harder, they will do more 'coxing', but I tend to limit the cheering to tests.

We also have a couple of swingulators, and we will use them in late winter to run full practices, which the coxswains will be in charge of.
I encourage them to workout as well, as it shows an interest in fitness, and the sport, but it is not mandatory as you won't see me erging everyday with them either.
Coxswain3
JV

Post by Coxswain3 »

We don't get water time in the winter, so it's mostly erging. I tend to do some of the workouts, because it refreshes me on what I'm telling my rowers (sometimes what I say becomes a reflex response to what I see and I forget as to how it feels and how to help rowers better understand what I'm trying to convey). Doing the workouts also helps to show the rowers that you do know what you're doing and earn their respect. I do tend to spend more time watching and correcting rowers. I get a sense of why some the things happen in the boat from seeing a how guys erg, and which helps me out come spring.

On the side, mostly for entertainment, I usually find myself watching race videos and I do pick up a call or 2 and get a different perspective of rowing.
chrisgray40
Novice

Post by chrisgray40 »

Our coxswains often participate in workouts, whether it's a technique erg session while we do steady state, doing core circuits with us, etc. During runs, they'll watch race videos or other discuss the art of coxing.

A good amount of time during erg workouts is spent judging technique, similar to how AND explained. We're in a position where we have one coxswain with rowing experience and three relatively novice coxswains, so this winter is being used to get them all up to speed on fine-tuned technical points.