Load with shorter oars

Nosmo
Pre-Elite

Re: Load with shorter oars

Post by Nosmo »

LightwDude wrote:How can I get my hands on Nolte´s paper? I am willing to buy it but the publishing journal simply does not allow me. I enter my "shipping" and billing address and then asks for shipping options without being able to proceed to payment (besides, I am trying to get a PDF so why shipping options?).

Any ideas?
In the scientific world, any author will send someone a pdf of a paper when requested even if the journal is expensive. Try emailing Nolte.
smiles
Old timer

Post by smiles »

mightyquinn wrote:
southernrower wrote:---"Row with 272/86/158"----

Swissness, send me your saw, drill press, and safety glasses. I have to do some surgery. I think my oars can only get to 283-284.

I was thinking the same thing. My Crokers are not even in the same zip code and I don't think C2's roshortest sculls go that short. I assume Croker or C2 will customize new orders or modify existing shafts?
Just wanted to go on the record that I switched to this rig (tighter spread & shorter oars) proportionately as far as I could shorten my oars w/out any sawing or drilling & absolutely LOVED it!!!

Wish I could authenticate that it made me faster, but didn't change it till I was training MUCH less than in the past....
but I would like to say it definitely didn't hurt & am almost certain had I still been training as I had in the past that this rig was quite optimal.

Highly recommend.
And yes...sharper angles keeps your stroke nice & long despite shorter blade length.
***I should note. my rig was not as extreme as the most of the proportions being suggested here...
just a little tighter & shorter than a typical ltwt rig.
Last edited by smiles on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
training is the opposite of hoping
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

Hmm. It seems like this is mostly related to sculling - how would this apply in a sweep situation? I know for a fact that when our master's women's 8+ won at HOCR, John Tytus had rigged their sweep oars for 81.5cm spread with a 365cm length oar. Just using a vortex blade, not a fat smoothie or anything like that. Didn't seem to cause them any issues with that kind of ratio.
bulldog
Varsity

Post by bulldog »

hmm, pretty interesting. but what kind of inboard did he have them at?
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

I think he still used the 30 cm rule, give or take. I think he had the inboard set at 111 or 111.5 depending on the rower. He did have an actual coxswain rowing in that crew, so he had to do some pretty crazy rigging. One end of the boat was a D1 NCAA All america, and on the other was a coxswain that also rowed.