Who are the best high school juniors?

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

crewu
Old timer

Who are the best high school juniors?

Post by crewu »

Who are the top high school juniors in the country right now?

Christine Cavallo would have to be in the top 10. Who are the others?
coach_bk
Novice

Re: Who are the best high school juniors?

Post by coach_bk »

Cicely Madden, Elizabeth Sharis from the silver medal 4x are still eligible. Probably top girls at Oakland, Saratoga, Marin, Saugatuck, CRI and few others! Look at HOCR and CRASH-B results and you can get the gist of it.
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

The French girl at Marina del Rey who went 6:57 the other day.
Sherman
Varsity

Post by Sherman »

This is an interesting question. It makes me wonder how you want to quantify the answer. Erg score? Potential? Dynamic on the water? Just picking the fastest boats won't do it. For instance: The Saratoga boat has an average weight in the mid 130lbs (3-4 girls in the 120lbs). Their best erg score is 7:36, yet they win the Charles. I think Winter Park has an entire lineup under 7:36 - as do several teams. The girl that pulls 7:00 at WP would get crushed in the single/pair to Sharis, Cavallo, the Toga 124lbs twins, and so on. But, she did get a scholarship to Virginia and the others did not. I'm sure Coach Sauer sees her as a "top Junior". Oakland Strokes has two killer lightweights in their boat. I'm told Long Beach has 4 girls in the 7:20 range, and two lighties in the 7:30's. I'd be willing to bet there are 100+ girls in the US under 7:36. If we are defining "top" as erg score: the Sophomore from Fayetville-Manlius (NY) is a 7:04. The CincyJR girl in the teens, the Winter Park girl in at 7:00, and so on. Man, how many JR girls are within a split of breaking 7:00 right now? Used to be one a decade and now we are talking four in one year (at least). IF we are talking on the water, lbs for lbs.....Sharis, Madden, Cavallo, the Saugatuck girls, and a number of girls from Bielawski to the Wegners & Murphy, to Shafi, etc. Sarasota has monsters flying under the radar right now...and they can scull too. Casey will set me straight if I am wrong, but last I heard he has some big ergs down there - at and least 20 singles to play with. James Madison has had some big time ergs for a few years now. This year will be no different I think. Marin, CBC, Exeter, GMS, CRI, Mount, Holy Spirit........ and the list goes on (no offense to any team this old brain didn't mention).

It wasn't too long ago that you were blessed to ever see a sub-7:30 erg on your team. Now, whole boats are averaging that. Small Boat training used to be a handful of teams. Now, teams are doing much more in the pair, single, double. It's awesome. Just not sure how we can figure out the top 20 with so many ways to cut it.
completeIgnorance
Old timer

Post by completeIgnorance »

Sarasota has monsters flying under the radar right now...and they can scull too.
Nope. Nothing to see here.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Sherman wrote:This is an interesting question. It makes me wonder how you want to quantify the answer. Erg score? Potential? Dynamic on the water?
I was thinking, who would be stamping their names on medals at Jr worlds this summer.
JCrew
Elite

Post by JCrew »

crewu wrote:I was thinking, who would be stamping their names on medals at Jr worlds this summer.
The place to start has to be last year's JNT which had great success. I believe 9 rowers and the cox from that team are eligible to return in 2013. Another spot might be an article in the Rowing News I saw last fall which included a list of the "Top 20 Under 20", I'm sure some of the girls mentioned are still eligible. I dont have either list in front of me but I'm sure someone has the time to do the research on the roster or find a copy of the article to get names.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Anyone know when the camp boats for the junior team are going to be announced?
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

I heard yesterday with the sculling, the selection/boating process is still going on. I think the boatings will take place soon.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

lt.wolf wrote:By the way , since several of you inquired, one of the more popular threads was this one , in the junior women's section 42000 plus
http://rowingillustrated.com/boards/vie ... =14&t=1856
That was a great thread, in this forum not known for big threads too. Been a bit dormant lately.

What ever did happen to that wondrous CT boat club poaching, err recruiting effort of girls in the long run? Are they still dominating?
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

Not quite. Second place in the B final of the W8+ at Youth Nationals.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Have any juniors gone sub 7 yet this year?
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

crewu wrote:Have any juniors gone sub 7 yet this year?
I might see one in a month or two. I'll let you know.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Signing day on Wednesday....looking forward to some big announcements.
paradox
Pre-Elite

Post by paradox »

Dana Moffat from Fayetteville- Manlius High School (NY) has to be counted among the top girl rowers in the high school class of 2015 with her 07:04.7 winning time at last year's Crash B's.

She won with a time more than 9 seconds ahead of 2d place. Moffat's 7:04.7 time as a high school sophomore would have been good enough to place her #12 among the Open/ college women rowers.