Who are the best high school juniors?

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

Sherman
Varsity

Re: Who are the best high school juniors?

Post by Sherman »

Dana pulled a 6:57 two weeks ago. She is just muscle. Can't wait to see how low she can go.
NYTommy
Novice

Post by NYTommy »

There was a girl, Emily Delleman (15) from Y Quad Cities, who won Midwinter Meltdown in Madison who pulled a 7:05.0. Her father posted on Reddit that she pulled a 6:59.6 a few weeks prior.
Here's the Reddit post if anyone's interested. http://www.reddit.com/r/Rowing/comments ... proud_dad/
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

NYTommy wrote:There was a girl, Emily Delleman (15) from Y Quad Cities, who won Midwinter Meltdown in Madison who pulled a 7:05.0. Her father posted on Reddit that she pulled a 6:59.6 a few weeks prior.
Here's the Reddit post if anyone's interested. http://www.reddit.com/r/Rowing/comments ... proud_dad/
That sounds lovely. Pics or it didn't happen.

I saw it on the internet, it must be true. Or the work of a crazy parent without a clue.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

bloomp wrote:
NYTommy wrote:There was a girl, Emily Delleman (15) from Y Quad Cities, who won Midwinter Meltdown in Madison who pulled a 7:05.0. Her father posted on Reddit that she pulled a 6:59.6 a few weeks prior.

I saw it on the internet, it must be true. Or the work of a crazy parent without a clue.
If it's true, I imagine you'll be hearing about her soon:
Her dad wrote:She is in Oakland for the selection camp for Junior National Camp this summer. I am excited for her, hopefully she will get to see the world. The Junior National coaches have already said she will get a ton of attention from colleges. She will come back from Oakland and start training for the Midwinter Meltdown in Madison which will be held in a few weeks, and is a qualifier for Crash B's in Boston.
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

The difference between a 7:05 and 6:59 is pretty big. You could go to selection camp with either score. I would like to wait until we see an official result of sub-7 from this rower.
2CiiX21
Old timer

Post by 2CiiX21 »

bloomp wrote:The difference between a 7:05 and 6:59 is pretty big. You could go to selection camp with either score. I would like to wait until we see an official result of sub-7 from this rower.
Pretty sure she pulled it at a JNT sculling ID camp in January
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

2CiiX21 wrote:
bloomp wrote:The difference between a 7:05 and 6:59 is pretty big. You could go to selection camp with either score. I would like to wait until we see an official result of sub-7 from this rower.
Pretty sure she pulled it at a JNT sculling ID camp in January
That's what someone who was there told me too. Apparently there's a lightweight at Oakland Strokes who's supposedly 7:05-ish.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

So, it sounds like there are 5-8 girls under 7:08 right now. Crash-Bs should be awesome.
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

The reddit post was actually about one of the Sharis girls according to the Dad, if you read all the way to the bottom. They have some fast girls at Y Quads.
paradox
Pre-Elite

Post by paradox »

bloomp wrote:

IMO the father should not have put the alleged occurrence on the internet as it has put quite a bit of pressure on his 15 year old daughter.

It would have been better form for the father to keep quiet and let his daughter register her time at CRASH Bs or like competitive erg event.

If the daughter falters in an erg competition it will make the father look pretty silly.
2CiiX21
Old timer

Post by 2CiiX21 »

paradox wrote:
bloomp wrote:

IMO the father should not have put the alleged occurrence on the internet as it has put quite a bit of pressure on his 15 year old daughter.

It would have been better form for the father to keep quiet and let his daughter register her time at CRASH Bs or like competitive erg event.

If the daughter falters in an erg competition it will make the father look pretty silly.
She pulled 7:05 at an erg competition, and a whole lot of people witnessed her break 7:00 at the ID camp (including the JNT coach I heard it from)... so I'm not sure where this skepticism is coming from. The scores are facts. She is for real. And, she is racing at CRASH-B's.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

There are a couple of Team Germany girls entered in the stacked flight at 2:30pm. This is going to be one crazy tight event this year. It would be great if they had some way of streaming the live results of the top 10 girls.
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

There is a live video stream of the regatta, I watched it last year http://www.crash-b.org/web/2014-regatta ... s-viewing/
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I don't know who will win but I am going to predict the winning time will be no better than 7:01.

Reasoning is travel is going to take a toll on the girls flying east (and the Germans) and the rest are probably going to go out a little too hard early, thinking the gold medal standard is 6:56.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Crewu is correct, travel will bit into athletes, not to ,mention the venue. The air is dry at BU, a ton of people walking around spraying the floor down. Watch out a buddy of mine got sprayed in the face accidentally. Also the ergs are wound a bit tighter as they are brand new. Check your drag factors. And be sure to time the start well. Should be some good racing!