Who are the best high school juniors?

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Who are the best high school juniors?

Post by lt.wolf »

HA HA , at that point we never see again. Her father would have to go silent. She would have to adhere to the team ways and fall into the "Patriot way"....opps I meant "Tehar" way. Development is possibly better for her long term future and success.
smiles
Old timer

Post by smiles »

Totally agree...
Absolutely NOOOO need to rush.
She's only 16.
It's not like she's going to slow down???
This isn't gymnastics or figure skating.
In fact it couldn't be more the opposite.
Women don't peak athletically in endurance sports till late 20's/early 30's & she'd STILL be U23 spring chicken at the NEXT Olympics!
Letting her develop naturally would not only be best for the longevity of her personal rowing, but also her International career which is also in the best interest for United States rowing in the long run.
She won't be technically ready for the 1x in 2016 & prematurely putting her in the intense team setting is pretty much asking for burnout & early retirement
training is the opposite of hoping
paradox
Pre-Elite

Post by paradox »

JT and Ben wrote:
TomH wrote:The video of CRASH-Bs on the Concept site (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/r ... d-irc/live) does not go back to Moffat's race. Does anyone know how we could get the video from her race. It was so much fun to watch her take it from the Germans in the last few hundreds meters.
Try this link: http://new.livestream.com/concept2us/world2014

I think if you scroll down it would be in the window titled "part 6"?????
Thanks for posting the link.

As someone previously posted it is incredible how Moffet leaped from her erg at the end of the race with seeming energy to go another 6 minutes if need be. I enjoyed watching Moffet pump her arm in well deserved victory while her German competitors gasped for air.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

How has Dana Moffat's spring season gone since posting that incredible erg score?
RowingIsAll
Novice

Post by RowingIsAll »

Another year has come and gone since this thread was first posted. Moffat is at sweeping camp, Sharis will row in at Worlds for sculling singles after having dominated at Youth Nationals. Who else is still out there that is a Junior? Who are the best Juniors in the country right now?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

We are about to find out who the top juniors are in the small boats. I still feel Moffat should be sculling.
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

She's going to the YOG. Was on Worlds Development Team last year. Something tells me she can't move a boat too well if she's putting up an erg like that and not in the 4-. Whether that's her or coaching I'm not sure. I hope it's coaching.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

Supposedly 12 women went sub 7 at sweep camp 2k test this summer. So this is not an untalented group. If she is not in the 4, I would not look too far down my nose. A lot of women with a lot of experience and hammer ergs are in this group.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

12 girls sub 7 minutes? More like half that number.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

Could be wrong but I stand by it because I trust the source.
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

Even still, there's a big difference between 6:49 in February and sub-7 in June.
hurtlocker
JV

Post by hurtlocker »

GettingFaster wrote:Even still, there's a big difference between 6:49 in February and sub-7 in June.
Help me understand what point you are making. If 8, 10 or 12 jr women went sub 7 at sweep camp, one would probably be Dana. 8-12 women do not fit in a 4. So to condemn any rower as a non boat mover if they do not get in the 4 is a bit of a stretch. And what exactly does it matter if she pulled it in Feb vs now? Boats are being put together in June or July, not Feb.
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

But if she pulled it in February she most likely only got faster. If there are 12 girls sub 7, which we'll assume is true, then it's likely that there are 6 or 8 that are 6:55 and up. If Moffat got any faster she'd be close to 10 seconds faster than them. Even if she didn't, she'd be more than 5 seconds faster. And while you are correct that not making the 4- wouldn't necessarily mean she can't move a boat, the fact that she was relegated to the YOG 2-, which I think is prioritized behind the 4-, then 2-, then 8+, then spare 2- (All are sweep camp boats), would suggest that she lost seat races to 16 other sweep camp athletes. Again, the reported number sub-7 is 12. If YOG is a priority, then I am wrong. However, I'd be shocked if it is.
hurtlocker
JV

Post by hurtlocker »

that's a lot of assumptions
RowingIsAll
Novice

Post by RowingIsAll »

So Moffat is Rowing a double in the Youth Olympic Games in China? I am not certain how this all ties together? You have the Worlds in Hamburg, the Developmental Squad that scrimmages against Spain, and the CanAmEx group also. In the pecking order of rowing, what is top to bottom in importance?

In regards to Jr. World Sculling, if the double wins with C. Sharis/A.Bielawski, then you have four members of the World Sculling Team that would have ties to Y Quad Cities. C. Sharis/A. Bielawski had the best time, beating the Campbells by 1/2 a boat length, and considerably better time wise than the winner of the other qualifier. Elizabeth Sharis is rowing the single as she won the first single final by 40 seconds and is unopposed in the second final. So that means E. Sharis (single), H. Zapolski (Quad: who rowed Worlds last year and was developed at YQC, she moved to train with Gman after early graduation in December), E. Delleman, (Quad: took 5th at Crash B's and turned 16 in June), and potentially C. Sharis (just turned 14) could all potentially wind up on the World Team..... 4 of 7?