Who are the best high school juniors?

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

2CiiX21
Old timer

Re: Who are the best high school juniors?

Post by 2CiiX21 »

I'll go ahead and say three girls pull sub-7 while 2-3 more die out after going for it in the first 1250. One of the Germans will win.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

2CiiX21 wrote:I'll go ahead and say three girls pull sub-7 while 2-3 more die out after going for it in the first 1250. One of the Germans will win.
Outstanding call.

Dana Moffat was unbelievable...6:49 and then stands up with no sign of pain at the end.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Pretty much the race of the day you are down playing .

She lead out of the gate then just past the 1k mark the Germans started to reel her back in , I cant remember when exactly but she was caught and passed. She then started to go at 300 meters , cool , calm and collective and took in the win in the final 100 meters. Great composure for a 16 year old . Dad should be proud as she just earned her way into a college program of her choosing.
paradox
Pre-Elite

Post by paradox »

1 Is Moffat a high school junior or senior ?

2. Any idea of colleges she is considering ?
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

When she stood up I was shocked, took it to be adrenaline. I was a bit disappointed there wasn't a USA chant when she won, I was thinking it to myself. Maybe it's just the Olympics catching up to me. And as for her year, at 16 she's probably a sophomore or a junior, not a senior. She at least has next year, possibly the year after of international eligibility at the junior level. Where was she last year; I find it hard to believe that she wasn't on the radar of any national team coaches a year ago if she can go 6:49 today.

Edit: Did some digging, she was with the 2014 Worlds Dev team in Spain this summer http://usrowingjrs.org/usj/wp-content/u ... T20131.pdf
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

lt.wolf wrote:Pretty much the race of the day you are down playing .

She lead out of the gate then just past the 1k mark the Germans started to reel her back in , I cant remember when exactly but she was caught and passed. She then started to go at 300 meters , cool , calm and collective and took in the win in the final 100 meters. Great composure for a 16 year old . Dad should be proud as she just earned her way into a college program of her choosing.
I was in awe of Dana Moffat's performance. In fact I savored the moment just watching her and how she conducted herself immediately upon winning. To me it was a historic, signature moment for Crash Bs.

When I recovered my first thought was please turn her into an American sculling superstar - but I really did not want to start a divisive sweep v. sculling argument in the wake of such an athletic feat.

But when Dana Moffat won and just instantaneously flew to her feet with such electricity I could not help but think, this is an American singles champion. An individual who accepts no performance equal. A future great who might just capture our imaginations like we have never yet seen in lifetimes in this sport. As the Germans lay collapsed, gasping beside her like casualties, she turned to shake hands with their coaches, to acknowledge their efforts. The look in their eyes gave it all away - they had witnessed greatness.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

A good race , but I would not go to that level with it. Sorry she is so far from any of that of which you elude to ,So far. Like she still has to learn how to drive, vote and maybe even learn how to get her blade in the water.
TomH
Elite

Post by TomH »

The video of CRASH-Bs on the Concept site (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/r ... d-irc/live) does not go back to Moffat's race. Does anyone know how we could get the video from her race. It was so much fun to watch her take it from the Germans in the last few hundreds meters.
paradox
Pre-Elite

Post by paradox »

Below is a link to Dana Moffat's interview following her victory at CRASH Bs. I am surprised she looks smaller than I thought she would be.

LINK
http://www.row2k.com/video/2014-C-R-A-S ... wTAZMu9KSN
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Who is conducting that interview?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Amanda Milad.
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

lt.wolf wrote:A good race , but I would not go to that level with it. Sorry she is so far from any of that of which you elude to ,So far. Like she still has to learn how to drive, vote and maybe even learn how to get her blade in the water.
One summer with Trond or GMan and she'll be fine. You can't teach power. You can't teach work ethic. Assuming she gets in the right system in college, she's going to be a very fast elite level rower.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

bloomp wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:A good race , but I would not go to that level with it. Sorry she is so far from any of that of which you elude to ,So far. Like she still has to learn how to drive, vote and maybe even learn how to get her blade in the water.
You can't teach power. You can't teach work ethic.
Ummm, what?

You can absolutely teach those things. What you cannot teach is a change in someone's genetics or teach a 5'5 person to be 6'5.
JT and Ben
Pre-Elite

Post by JT and Ben »

TomH wrote:The video of CRASH-Bs on the Concept site (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/r ... d-irc/live) does not go back to Moffat's race. Does anyone know how we could get the video from her race. It was so much fun to watch her take it from the Germans in the last few hundreds meters.
Try this link: http://new.livestream.com/concept2us/world2014

I think if you scroll down it would be in the window titled "part 6"?????
PNEDA
Novice

Post by PNEDA »

To me it's obvious Moffat should take a year off after next year and try and make the 2016 Olympics. She'll go 6:41 next year at CRASH-B's and she'll be doing it on way less volume than the NT. Give her a year of really great training with the National Team and she goes 6:35. That puts her right in the stack with everyone else on the team at worst. If she was under the guidance of other countries' governing bodies this wouldn't even be a question. All this 'she needs to learn to drive' nonsense is extremely dumb. A score is a score no matter the age and 6:49 two years plus out from the Olympics is enough to say college can wait a year.