New boat...new rig

KiwiCanuck
Elite

Re: New boat...new rig

Post by KiwiCanuck »

1xsculler wrote:What is meant by the term "setting" a boat?
When I've heard it used, it's been in the context of keeping it level and running well during the recovery, and being able to have a good solid drive. Essentially - row the boat well..
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

AKS -- Having the bow out is not such a bad thing--reduces wetted surface. You might look at the W1x from last years Olympics. I believe all/most of the Empachers in that race were 15-hulls. See what is going on with their bows and if it is any different from your own.
Steven M-M
Grover
Pre-Elite

Post by Grover »

Ok so the F15 i was using has now turned into an F22 this morning and this evening will be a K18 pacher lol

Its called musical chairs.

The F22 is a lot nicer to row then the F15 and does not destroy my back as much after a session..but for some reason the boat even though i am only 73/74kgs (the boat weight is 75-85kgs crew) sits very low in the water and while sitting at the finish a friend on the dock joked if i had eaten too much as the bow section was incredibly low. I would have thought that being under the weight of the boat would actually have me sitting very high out of the water?? During the stroke the bow really does go deep which s a complete surprise to me again

So will go out in the K18 tonight and see if it is any different. Again i am on the small scale for this model being it is made for 75-85kgs athletes. One day i will get into a 60-75kgs boat made for me haha
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

Steven M-M wrote:AKS -- Having the bow out is not such a bad thing--reduces wetted surface. You might look at the W1x from last years Olympics. I believe all/most of the Empachers in that race were 15-hulls. See what is going on with their bows and if it is any different from your own.
I will definately take a look - need to find some good picutures showing the entire boat. I would think that would depend on how much of the bow comes up, right? I think it is much less than it was with the rigger moved back, but need to get some video of myself rowing to see for sure.
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

aks753 wrote:
Steven M-M wrote:AKS -- Having the bow out is not such a bad thing--reduces wetted surface. You might look at the W1x from last years Olympics. I believe all/most of the Empachers in that race were 15-hulls. See what is going on with their bows and if it is any different from your own.
I will definately take a look - need to find some good picutures showing the entire boat. I would think that would depend on how much of the bow comes up, right? I think it is much less than it was with the rigger moved back, but need to get some video of myself rowing to see for sure.
Steven M-M - I found a video of the 2008 finals for the women 1x and, you are correct, the bow looks pretty much like mine does at the catch - and that's for every boat in the race. I am surprised to see the bow go up and down that much at the elite level.
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

aks -- So maybe you should turn your original concern inside out: what you observed at the highest level of racing is top scullers taking advantage of the design features of the shell. Rather than trying to adjust the rigging to reduce the "bow out" you could see this as evidence of moving the boat well. Bouncing the boat slows it down (wave drag), but the rising and squatting is an inevitable result of loading and unloading the blade (I think). Many top shells are designed with the length to minimize squat but to reduce the "length" and therefore wetted surface when loaded by lifting the bow out (or so I understand with my limited understanding of all this).
Steven M-M
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Now that it has been explained to me what "set" means it is my opinion that every modern elite racing shell, and I've owned nearly every mid-weight boat and have rowed most of them for over a year, is equally easy to set on glassy water and equally difficult to set in choppy water. The only boat I've rowed that was a little easier to set was my 1979 Pocock Teardrop and it was the only boat I've owned (including my 1988 Staempfli) that would float level with no one sitting in it.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.