Best Footstop position?

taylste
JV

Best Footstop position?

Post by taylste »

A slight nuance on a previously discussed item....

Which is better (more efficient?):

1. Shallower footstop angle (say 37 degrees) with verticle shins and heal down at the catch

or

2. Steeper (more efficient?) footstop angle (say 43 degrees) with vertical shins, but heel 2 or 3 inches off the footstop

Comments?
suahoi
Varsity

Re: Best Footstop position?

Post by suahoi »

At what point in the leg drive do the heels make contact in the second scenario?

What about at the finish? Can you maintain pressure through the heels equally with both setups?
taylste
JV

Post by taylste »

Assume the heels make contact 1/4 to 1/3 into the drive, which is likely typical in this example.

I would also assume that in scenario 2, one could maintain peassure longer into the finish. I would argue that that is not necessarily a good thing, especially if you further assume the first 1/3 of the drive is the most efficient (especially with a bigger blade). In thius case, I would have a quicker, perhaps abbreviated finish and get back for another stroke a bit sooner. Take advantage of the front part of the stroke.
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Post by mightyquinn »

Check out: http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_2008_files ... News07.pdf for a discussion of this topic. I think Biorow has visited this a few times.

For related information (albeit commercially biased) try: http://batlogic.net/research/ or http://rowing.shimano.com/publish/conte ... tcher.html
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

The July 2008 Biomechanics Newsletter had gotten me thinking while back on that issue. My thought is that when you start the back swing the heals will shift down. You can test it out on an erg by trying to keep your heals off the foot board during the drive. When the back goes on you will see the heals move twards the foot board. You may have to watch someone else from the side or video yourself to see it. My thought is to set the angle of the foot board so that when the back goes on the heals will naturally touch the foot board. Heals going down is not something that needs to be thought about if the angle is set right for you. It should just happen when the back starts to swing.
The exception is if you have flat feet. Your drive may be stronger if you leave the heals down and not push from the toes. You would set the foot board flatter. From what I understand when you run and the feet strikes the ground it shuts down some muscles in the torso which reduces shock. For people with flat feet the upper body can be shut down at all times. They will have bad body posture when standing. If they push from the heals the torso muscles will work as the nerve that signals the torso to shut down will not have force on it.