Sprinting - Strategies / Methods

Moderator: bendtheoar

FeedMe
Novice

Sprinting - Strategies / Methods

Post by FeedMe »

What are some of the suggested strategies / methods for sprinting?

I'd always done something along the lines of taking the rating up 2 every 8 - 10 strokes, but I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there.

Does anyone have any preferred methods or videos of good sprint drills?
JFrancis
JV

Re: Sprinting - Strategies / Methods

Post by JFrancis »

FM, how do you go about getting the rate up every 8-10 strokes?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

quick hands and body , sit up , build speed with pressure and shorten up a bit. ......hopefully have enough to not pass out. Then again see my tweet from this morning as I saw several folks do a 500 meter piece / test and they were pretty giddy as they finished even shouting out at the end of it and one of them starting doing squats within 10 mins
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Post by mightyquinn »

FeedMe wrote:What are some of the suggested strategies / methods for sprinting?

I'd always done something along the lines of taking the rating up 2 every 8 - 10 strokes, but I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there.

Does anyone have any preferred methods or videos of good sprint drills?
Good sprint drill workout:

4 x 6 min of 20 seconds on/ 20 seconds off; "On" = building to sprint rating and splits in 3 strokes; "Off" = paddle. Try to improve meters per interval as you go through the workout. Watch your speedcoach for rating and splits. Find your speed and don't waste any strokes. You'll have 11-12 strokes per interval. Short intervals are the key -- forces you to bring the rating up promptly and to make every stroke count. The 3 stroke transition helps train the transition to a higher rating. The format also allows you to get lots of practice strokes at sprint pace without killing you due to the short intervals and frequent rest.