Left knee feels sore while erging.

Daemana
JV

Left knee feels sore while erging.

Post by Daemana »

Haven't rowed in 2 years on the water but have been erging on and off for the most part. My left knee is sore after pieces on the erg. I feel like i'm applying pressure awkwardly more with one leg than the other. Not sure if this was because of sweep rowing, actually everything feels sort of off that I have been trying to balance out since I finished rowing in college 2 years ago. Has anyone else experienced this? I had no body issues in hs or college when it came to rowing. I was port for 3 years though and 1 starboard.

Thanks!
Steven M-M
Elite

Re: Left knee feels sore while erging.

Post by Steven M-M »

You might try doing some 1-legged body-weigth squats to see if you have strength imbalances. You can just unweight and lift the unused leg or extend it back behind as in Warrior One in yoga.
Steven M-M
Daemana
JV

Post by Daemana »

honestly, I don't know why I never thought of testing each indivudal leg strength wise. Will report back Steve!
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

Could also be an imbalance between the quadriceps and hamstrings.
Daemana
JV

Post by Daemana »

bloomp wrote:Could also be an imbalance between the quadriceps and hamstrings.
Any shot in the dark recommendations?
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

I know nothing of this problem but a few of thoughts come into my head. One is how do your knees travel as they go up and down. Do they hit each other at all? Are the knees spread far apart at the catch? Have you tried rowing with the feet out? What if you only row 1/2 or 3/4 slide? Can you very slowly go to the catch position or do you need speed to carry you into the catch to get your compression? Those are just shot in the dark questions and I have no basis on why to ask those questions. I have no clue as to what the best thing for you to do. See a doctor? Bob Kaehler might be a good person to go to to check for muscle imbalance.