Start technique

Moderator: bendtheoar

esteroali2
JV

Start technique

Post by esteroali2 »

Does anyone have a reference for technique, specifically sculling, for the start sequence?
I am interested specifically in the first 3-5 strokes.
Thanks.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Start technique

Post by lt.wolf »

Sit at 3/4 - hands and oars over the toes

First stroke be patient getting thru the water , almost pause a bit at the finish , then full , full full full, think quickness and getting boat to speed.

Keep it simple.
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

As Wolf says - first stroke, 3/4 length (handles perhaps a little astern of toes) relaxed, waiting.
Attention - slightly bury both blades (practice this) - on "go" make sure the blades stay in the water and pry the boat away from the boat holder - get so you don't shove the boat backwards on the first kick or wash the blades out.
Second stroke - about the same, as deep, but quicker.
Third stroke - start lengthening and be at full length by the time you get to about 7 strokes - it takes about 7 strokes to get up to speed from a dead stop - and full length strokes at the catch (where you generate lift with the blades in the first phase of the stroke) needs the boat to be going at full speed.

Or.. The first stroke is to get the boat moving.
Bury the blades, pry the boat, quick, quick, quick, SPRINT and then race the remaining 1800 m.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Seems ok. I can give it a whirl.

What ever you do keep it simple for yourself.

You don't have to win the race at the start you just have to be in it.
esteroali2
JV

Post by esteroali2 »

Wow, so many options.
This will be my second race so I guess I will focus on staying relaxed and moving my blades through the water evenly.
Thanks
Nosmo
Pre-Elite

Post by Nosmo »

To follow up on Wolf's comment: Keep it simple--just start at about half slide and gradually lengthen. Don't worry about power until you get the boat moving straight. If there is a cross wind or you do something uneven with the blades, your first priority should be on getting the boat aligned with the course. Going full speed but hitting the buoys is one way to lose for sure. No one wins the race on the start but a lot of people (especially novices) loose the race at the start.

This is your second race, so your focus should be on learning. Relax and have a lot of fun.
rowingpun
Elite

Post by rowingpun »

One of the ways I have had it explained to me is that the strokes vary in length but should take about the same time. So a standard 3/4 1/2 3/4 lengthen full, would have the first pry stroke and then the next four strokes should be about the same spm, but as the boat speed picks up you are able to get the spm through the water instead of shortening the stroke.