Rower's Bum

Moderator: bendtheoar

LightweightPete
Novice

Rower's Bum

Post by LightweightPete »

I know this topic has been covered before (I've read most if not all the posts) with usually the problem being resolved. However, ever since I've rowed as a Junior, I get unbearable bum pain after about 20-25 mins in the boat and after about 40-45 mins on the ergo. It happens in every boat I'm in without fail, and means I need to stop for at least 5 mins every few km to provide some temporary relief (this becomes somewhat of a problem if I'm trying to do a long distance session).

I don't think it's related to a restriction of circulation as it's localised to the sit bones and not spread to the hamstrings as is the case with that particular issue. So far I've tried adding seat padding (hasn't worked), I've lowered my seat height (also not worked), adjusted the footplate angle and have also being vigilant in terms of posture & pivoting from the hips.

Unfortunately as I can't afford my own boat, I don't think a custom made seat is going to be the answer. The only other possible thoughts I have are: 1) weak glutes and it is merely glute fatigue or 2) posture is still not sorted 3)everyone gets it and I just need to man up. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Many thanks.

A rower with a sore arse.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Rower's Bum

Post by lt.wolf »

Yoga and a seat pad. Lots of yoga
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Lots of seat pads trial and error until you find an acceptable combo. I use 4" of green foam topped with a lamb's wool pad while erging or rowing. It doesn't totally solve the problem but it can get me forty-five minutes. For my first six years of rowing a 2005 Wintech carbon seat with zero padding was perfect but then padding became essential with my medium Dreher seat. I find that too tight of trou creates a big problem and cotton C2 trou works best for me.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
LightweightPete
Novice

Post by LightweightPete »

Just ordered a sheepskin seat pad from Row-Pro, so hopefully it may sort the issue.